How to tell if it's "Triv" or not?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: How to tell if it's "Triv" or not?

Post by andy10917 » November 2nd, 2012, 5:42 pm

I need to know more about Tenacity...where you can get it for $52 or less, how long that lasts, how toxic it is, how it's applied, etc. We also had a problem with Bentgrass taking over before overseeding...I bet it, too, will try to come back. I hear Tenacity kills it, too.
There are hundreds of posts that will tell you 10X more than you want to know about Tenacity. Use the Search function. E H Griffith has it (register to get the good price - it takes 3 minutes).

Many of us have found that Triv recurs in 3-5 months after a series of Tenacity treatments if the area is not 100% sun. Triv is NOT a listed weed for Tenacity. I have found it to be a knockdown but not a knockout on Triv. I love Triclopyr, but find it useless on Triv.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: How to tell if it's "Triv" or not?

Post by Green » November 2nd, 2012, 6:20 pm

Well, if I decide to do anything about it, I'll likely try the CCO for the heck of it next spring since it isn't too expensive and I'll be buying some anyway.

And then if I decide to do something real about it, I'll probably use the containing method they use to fight wildfires...try to build a perimeter around it to keep it from spreading...by growing sod in trays and cutting out and resodding affected areas. I can resod in spring or even summer, right? Hit it when the Triv is suppressed from the heat...

Also, a theory about how it may have gotten here in the first place...
Some years ago, when the original lawn was intact, I seem to remember a contractor planting some seed where a tree had been. I remember the grass there was a light green color. If it was Triv, it may have spread into the strip that was left untouched during last year's redo. From there, it could have spread anywhere. Back when the lawn was mostly fine fescue, you wouldn't have seen anything alarming unless you were an expert. The fine fescue grew slowly and had a lot of brown blades in it and was a green-gray most of the time. So the colors didn't really contrast. And the fact that the Triv grew faster was not a red flag, because everything grew faster than the fine fescue. Everyone who saw the Triv and knew anything about grasses probably just assumed it was KBG for these reasons. Only now that this area has been overseeded, is the color difference noticeable. Plus, the aerating and vertical mowing coupled with all of the rain probably helped the Triv to spread.