Help Identifying Grass

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
dbtothayard
Grass Type: Don't know
Lawn Size: < 1000
Level: Novice

Help Identifying Grass

Post by dbtothayard » April 8th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Hello, trying to get a handle on what type of grass this is so that I can make my yard care plan. I'm in SF Valley, Southern California. This grass does really well in the Spring, half of it dies by the end of Summer, and it recovers fast as soon as the rains hit in Winter/Spring. I'd like to go with UC Verde but it seems expensive to strip up this lawn and replace it with plugs. If I can get a couple more years out of this grass, that would be good and I'll eventually go with UC Verde. Is this tall fescue? Any specific type?

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Help Identifying Grass

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 1st, 2019, 6:13 pm

Hmmm. Does it use a lot of water to keep it nice? Do you have any pictures of the seed head?

dbtothayard

Post by dbtothayard » May 4th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Sorry for the delay. Yes, it appears to be pretty thirsty grass, though I don't have anything to compare it to.

dbtothayard

Post by dbtothayard » December 22nd, 2020, 9:32 pm

Just bumping this old post. I haven't done much with the yard since my last post, but am now needing to find out what kind of grass this is. Anyone know? I can get more pics if needed.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » December 22nd, 2020, 10:03 pm

It’s almost Christmas. I suspect you’ll get a better response to your question if you post again in the warmer months.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » December 23rd, 2020, 3:34 am

It really looks like K-31 (Kentucky 31) fescue to my eye. Broad blade. Durable beyond belief. Would probably survive a nuclear war and come out unmussed. And most of us hate it (see broad blade above). It's a clump grass, the color's never better than average, but...well, it literally will survive almost anything.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » December 24th, 2020, 1:28 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
December 23rd, 2020, 3:34 am
It really looks like K-31 (Kentucky 31) fescue to my eye. Broad blade. Durable beyond belief. Would probably survive a nuclear war and come out unmussed. And most of us hate it (see broad blade above). It's a clump grass, the color's never better than average, but...well, it literally will survive almost anything.
If it would spread, I wouldn't mind it. It doesn't die much, but if it dies, it doesn't fill in. I'm not picky (hence the native grasses). But native grasses are more attractive than k31.

Unfortunately, k31 is really cheap and is in nearly every drought or shade mix (maybe every mix) sold by big box stores.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » December 24th, 2020, 3:47 am

You can sometimes buy it separately (I've seen bags). But yes, in terms of attractiveness, barnyard grass is more attractive. Crabgrass is slightly superior.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » January 8th, 2021, 4:48 pm

Also would you mind redoing your location in your profile to elaborate on where SF Valley is? Is it San Fernando Valley in the LA area? I have no idea.