San Diego, CA - Just had Platinum TE Paspalum installed

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
lucasDOG
Grass Type: Seashore Paspalum
Lawn Size: < 1000
Level: Some Experience

Re: San Diego, CA - Just had Platinum TE Paspalum installed

Post by lucasDOG » April 20th, 2020, 5:02 pm

@Krs!, my post of August 12th, 2018, above, shows my Platinum TE lawn in all its summer-in-San-Diego splendor.

lucasDOG
Grass Type: Seashore Paspalum
Level: Some Experience

Post by lucasDOG » April 20th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Regarding weeds and disease, I experienced some dollar spots shortly after sodding, presumably due to constant moisture and high water volume. I treated that with an anti-fungal agent and it cleared up. I'm dealing with seasonal Poa Annua and it it's a nuisance. That's about it. It's a dense lawn, so it crowds out many weeds.

Krs1
Grass Type: Tifgreen hybrid bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Krs1 » April 20th, 2020, 8:12 pm

👍🏻 Dosent seem to be many people in the California region unless I’m mistaken so I’m interested how’s certain grasses have grown in the area. I’m costal so that throws another factor in.

willnse
Grass Type: TE Paspalum

Post by willnse » June 6th, 2020, 1:28 pm

Had the sod installed early March, I live inland in Rancho Bernardo, the lawn is quite thick, keeping the height at about 3 inches, working with a Toro rotary mower, challenged somewhat by the thickness. Cutting the lawn twice a week, watering every day for 7 minutes early morning. Fighting rabbits, gophers and field mice and winning at present. Currently the lawn is doing well, monitoring as I go along. The real challenge lies ahead from July 1 through September 30, big heat with high temperatures and hoping the lawn does well without running up huge watering bills ! I will try and update as we go through the summer, by October 1 the battle will be behind me.

arizona rejjr
Grass Type: Platinum Paspalum

Post by arizona rejjr » July 24th, 2020, 12:57 pm

I installed Platinum Paspalum in Scottsdale Arizona about 8 years ago. Had over 12000 square feet installed after dilligent plot preparation. My experience: The grass is zero shade tolerant. The grass does not spread very well. The grass is very susceptible to insect damage. After 8 years and thousands of dollars in water, fertilizer, bio nutrients, verticutting, aeration, etc, almost 80% of the grass is dead. I even had the salesman come out to inspect my grass after 3 years. His response, yeah, that grass doesn't grow real well. Looks like maybe you have a slope problem. HUH??? My yard is perfectly flat! LOL. Root growth terrible even after root stimulant applications, etc. I would never recommend this grass. It is supposed to save water and fertilizer. 100% false. I would be okay forgoing the savings that WestCoast Sod professes if it would just grow correctly. Terrible grass, terrible product, i would again, NEVER EVER EVER RECOMMEND THIS GRASS.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » July 25th, 2020, 7:10 pm

AZ rejjr, I have a friend in Gilbert whose arm I twisted and twisted to get him into St Augustine. He's never been happier with it. He has sissoo trees shading the yard. Except for watering and mowing, he ignores it more than he should. He waters every 4 days in the summer heat blast.

SeanBB
Grass Type: Platinum TE Paspalum

Post by SeanBB » October 7th, 2020, 3:31 pm

Did @sandiego62 ever get that brown spot figured out? Was it a fungus? Was it successfully treated? I have a TE lawn thats been in for ~2 months and in the shade it is not looking so hot. Everywhere else the grass is fantastic. I would love to keep this paspalum talk going on for us southern california (san diego) peeps! There is NO information online about this grass except for the over-hyped patented website and vague USGA stuff. Most of it pertains to seashore paspalum. PS: I am all organic in the turf BTW if it matters...?

Share away!

(and big shoutout to Dchall_San_Antonio for all of his great advice)

Dchall_San_Antonio

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » October 22nd, 2020, 1:29 pm

(and big shoutout to Dchall_San_Antonio for all of his great advice)
Awww, shucks! You wasted your first post on the forum to say that? :good:

SeanBB

Post by SeanBB » November 1st, 2020, 10:31 pm

@Dchall_San_Antonio I love you but you still did t answer the question lol!

ElKay
Grass Type: Paspalum
Level: Novice

Post by ElKay » November 7th, 2020, 1:58 pm

Hello. I am new to the group and have Paspalum grass that I really don't know how to care for!!=( I had a lawn service and they were doing a horrible job so I am trying to learn. I live in Clairemont and I bought my platinum paspalum from West coast turf in San Marcos about 3 years ago. Since fall is here and I'm getting ready to cut short....what blend of starter fertilizer should I use and what perennial ryegrass do you all suggest using? Thank you in advance as I need all the help I can get.

SeanBB

Post by SeanBB » November 23rd, 2020, 8:27 pm

@ElKay do you have any photos of your turf? How's it been for 3 years? I've only had mine in for 6 months or so..great grass so far

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » November 24th, 2020, 1:06 am

You’re not likely to get a lot of responses on this thread now, since it is nearly December. El Kay hasn’t been on the site since shortly after posting his last comment here.

ElKay

Post by ElKay » December 7th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Hi. I looked for responses for several days and no reply. I thought I’d be notified when someone did? I’d be happy to post photos.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » December 7th, 2020, 8:11 pm

Sorry, it's "off-season" with most of the members - not much to do in the cool-season areas, and Paspalum is a lower frequency selection im warm-season areas. Try again around March 1st if you don't get a response.

SeanBB

Post by SeanBB » December 18th, 2020, 1:57 am

@ElKay yes post some photos please! Im still here! :)

ElKay

Post by ElKay » April 1st, 2021, 6:11 pm

Anyone still on this thread?

Dchall_San_Antonio

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » April 4th, 2021, 3:33 pm

Generally for any turf grass...
Water deeply and infrequently. Deep means 1 inch all at one time. Measure that using tuna or cat food cans placed around the yard and time how long it takes the sprinklers to fill the cans. That's your 1-inch time from now on. Infrequently depends on the temperature for the most part. I am not familiar with paspalum watering needs, but I'm assuming it is a warm season grass growing in a warm spot. Again, generally, with temps in the 70s, deep water once every 3 weeks. With temps in the 80s deep water once every 2 weeks. With temps in the 90s deep water once every week. With temps above 100, for Clairmont/San Diego, deep water every 4-5 days. NEVER water every day. At the beginning I said generally. If you can go longer and water, say, 3/4-inch instead of 1 inch, then do that. It's better to go light on the watering if the grass will tolerate it. Also you cannot go cold turkey into this watering if you have been watering much more frequently. It takes a little time to wean the grass and let it grow deeper roots to take advantage of the deeper watering.
Mow at the mower's highest setting.
Wait to fertilize until late spring. Memorial Day is a good date to remember.

ElKay

Post by ElKay » April 7th, 2021, 11:09 am

My paspalum is from West Coast Turf and I live in the San Diego/Clairemont area. I've slightly neglected the grass and now I have some weeds and a few other grasses trying to take over. Where do I start? It looks kind bare in some areas and West Coast does not sell any seed, only sod. Can I buy another brand of paspalum seed??

Dchall_San_Antonio

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » April 7th, 2021, 1:25 pm

You should be able to use any 2,4-D product like Weed-b-Gon on the broadleaf weeds in your lawn.
Are your problem areas in the shade perchance?
Have you fertilized since last fall? or, did you fertilize last fall?
Call around to your local nurseries. You might find paspalum seed.

ElKay

Post by ElKay » April 9th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Hi. I didn't fertilize last fall. =( I was told I could use "Speed zone" for the weeds. Thoughts? The shaded areas aren't too bad actually. Its just overall mainly. Weeds are growing in and a couple of other grasses are appearing. If I find paspalum seed, can I use just any? There are lots on the internet to buy, west coast just doesn't sell it anymore. Will the paspalum take over the other grasses if I can get the lawn healthy? Should I wait to Memorial Day to fertilize with milorganite? Thank you.