Crazy Weather

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
JayK
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Crazy Weather

Post by JayK » June 1st, 2013, 1:59 pm

Wild couple of weeks here in Oklahoma City- Moore area! I've had around 11-12" of rain in the last 7-10 days. I could be accurate about it but my fence and rain gauge was destroyed by the neighbors trampoline yesterday evening. I bet we had 90 mph winds here at my house and that is being generous. Anyways, it is nice to not have to water at all yet... especially since we had record droughts and heat the last two years. Hopefully the water doesn't shut off now that I said something about it. Anyone else getting wild weather?

HanLawn
Grass Type: COCHISE IV,FALCON V,FAITH TTTF + KBG

Re: Crazy Weather

Post by HanLawn » June 1st, 2013, 2:09 pm

your storms are headed this way tomorrow,but they will have lost most of their fury by the time they reach us....strong thunderstorms predicted with 1.4- 1.7 inches of much needed rain.If it hits tomorrow as expected,it will have been 10 days since last rainfall,and lawn is beginning to look a little stressed around the edges with our current heatwave we have going on{low-mid 90s}.

xapabwa
Grass Type: back yard TTTF; front yard Zoysia

Post by xapabwa » June 1st, 2013, 2:12 pm

Glad to hear you are okay out in OKC. You all sure have been through it the past few weeks. Weather here in Maryland has been what I would consider to be fairly normal, though it stayed a bit cooler later this season. Looking at the weather, it looks like you folks should be getting a nice reprieve for a few days. I'm sure it will be a welcomed change.

xapabwa
Grass Type: back yard TTTF; front yard Zoysia

Post by xapabwa » June 1st, 2013, 2:15 pm

Guess that means I need to get off my butt and go mow! I'm also due for another round of Starter Fertilzer. I think that you're probably going to get more than I will, Han. I'd like some rain, but I don't really want 2" all at once.

Begotten
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda, St. Augustine

Post by Begotten » June 1st, 2013, 2:26 pm

it's been sunny and in the 80s every day for what seems like a month, literally cannot remember the last rain we had :(

how's that for crazy?

HanLawn
Grass Type: COCHISE IV,FALCON V,FAITH TTTF + KBG

Post by HanLawn » June 1st, 2013, 2:32 pm

xapabwa wrote:Guess that means I need to get off my butt and go mow! I'm also due for another round of Starter Fertilzer. I think that you're probably going to get more than I will, Han. I'd like some rain, but I don't really want 2" all at once.
Yes,according to the latest map,it looks like the rainfall totals drop in Md as you go from west to east.I will be happy if we just get near an inch.Also going to mow and drop another round of Dimension to extend coverage til early September.

JayK
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by JayK » June 1st, 2013, 2:36 pm

Calm weather will for sure be a welcome change... I just hope it doesn't bring the intense heat/drought back with it. A couple years of that will make you beg for rain even if it is a flood.

Hanlawn- I hope your right about the intensity being less for y'all. These storms were no joke. I do hope you get some beneficial rain from the storms. Droughts will break you down physically and emotionally.

Xap- Thanks for your thoughts and I hope you get some good rain soon too.

Begotten- Hopefully you can get some rain as this storm system moves your way!

flutemama
Grass Type: bermuda

Post by flutemama » June 1st, 2013, 4:48 pm

Yeah, I think crazy weather has been the theme around here. I'm sure some of you heard about our crazy storm last week that dropped 7-10" in less than 24 hours. A few people died from flash floods. I had actually seeded the top of my backyard 9 days before that and was seeing great germination. The rain washed some of the seedlings into clumps and buried some others. I'm just waiting to see where I may need to reseed, but I will have grass by George, even if it kills me!