Rotary mowed Bermuda pics??

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
grow_dammit
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Rotary mowed Bermuda pics??

Post by grow_dammit » June 8th, 2014, 8:16 pm

I love seeing all of the pics of the awesome Bermuda lawns here that are mowed with a Reel, but, I'll only have a rotary to work with for the next couple of seasons anyways and wanted some inspiration. So, how good can you get your Bermuda with a rotary?? Any pics are welcomed! Please list mowing height if you post a pic.

ckone
Grass Type: Tif

Re: Rotary mowed Bermuda pics??

Post by ckone » June 8th, 2014, 9:32 pm

3rd season Tiff 419 @ 1.25" with a Honda rotatory:

Last year, same mower possibly a bit later in the season:

grow_dammit

Post by grow_dammit » June 8th, 2014, 10:36 pm

ckone, look great! Thanks for posting! Did you do any leveling before dropping to 1.25"?

ckone

Post by ckone » June 9th, 2014, 9:43 am

Sorta:

Yes that is the same yard.

I rented a skid loader and took out the major slope from the yard and built the deck (phase 1 of 3 for the deck). I was a bit pushed for time when I did this, so I did the best I could at the time. (also working solo)

Due to the amount of dirt that was moved around, settling has to be factored in. At this point, it should be pretty much done. It is not perfectly smooth, but it is smooth enough for the 1.25. If my mower could do 1" I would do that. (had a toro that would before the honda).

I would love to someday have it completely smooth and run a reel mower at .5-.75", but funding for that is a long ways off.

While I do feel it looks pretty good, I know it could look better, but that is not possible for me at this time. I mow every few days, feed it 1# of nitrogen per 1000 each month, water on Wednesday (restrictions), and that is about it. I do apply pre em though probably a bit late, and I have used some post em (Weed b gone). I hand pull some stuff here and there, but the low mow takes care of most things.

grow_dammit

Post by grow_dammit » June 11th, 2014, 11:26 pm

ckone, sorry for the late response. Thats a huge transformation just in the grading of your yard! I'm with you on not having the reel mower just yet, thats why i wanted to see some 'rotary success stories'. I'm basically right on the same maintenance path as you described. I just lowered my back yard to 1.25" from 1.75" and really like the lower cut but just like many others have some spots that get hacked a little lower, about and 1" or so, and those look a tad brown. But I'll stay the course for a few weeks to see if that Bermuda will fill in some. Sounds weird but I have two large dogs and it isn't hard finding poop piles to scoop on a 1" tall lawn!

ckone

Post by ckone » June 12th, 2014, 9:38 am

I have 2 dogs also. I mulch mow the dog poop in for more OM. Since I mow every other day or so, the poop does not accumulate to much.

On the mow height, since my Honda will do .75", I try to start there and once the "crop circles" become an issue I go to the 1.25". Seems like this year I was only able to do .75 for the first 2 mows and had to move on up. The problem with that is it seems I am getting some crop circles with the 1.25 now so might have to go up one more notch. That will put me at 2" and that is way taller than I want.

cotucker
Grass Type: Tiff 419

Post by cotucker » June 12th, 2014, 1:56 pm

ckone, your lawn looks great! Put some type of edge around your mulch areas and you would take your lawn to the next level.

I need to see if I can dig up some pictures of my lawn last season when I was mowing with a rotary at 1". I received allot of compliments for how well it looked. It scalped at first but I would take a hose with a high pressure nozzle and take down the high spots. My lawn is still pretty bumpy but I get zero scalping with my reel mower that has a roller on the front. Without the roller I would be in pretty bad shape right now. For all the people that are thinking of purchasing a reel mower in the future I would strongly recommend getting one with the roller on the front.

ckone

Post by ckone » June 13th, 2014, 8:30 am

cotucker wrote:ckone, your lawn looks great! Put some type of edge around your mulch areas and you would take your lawn to the next level.
There is supposed to be more deck built over the mulch area at some point. The grass is taking over in spots and I am considering just letting it. Only problem there is my irrigation is set up for the deck to go in.

Sixohh
Grass Type: Common Bermuda

Post by Sixohh » June 15th, 2014, 11:20 am

this was last year end of season with a cub cadet rider. i am mowing one notch lower this year and switched from a side discharge to mulching blades and a deck cap.

-Marcus

grow_dammit

Post by grow_dammit » June 16th, 2014, 4:18 pm

Lawn looks nice Marcus. Looks like you have some serious square footage there! Are you having issues with the turf under that live oak? I have one in the front yard, which is nice, but I need to make a larger bed under it since the Bermuda gets thinner every season under it.