Bandera Bermuda

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Rhollow1
Grass Type: Bandera Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Bandera Bermuda

Post by Rhollow1 » August 15th, 2015, 10:43 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I just installed Bandera Bermuda in my back yard on July 25 of this year. This is my first time having bermuda. I used to take care of tall fescue at my mother's, so I know how to take care of cool season grass, but not warm season grass. My first pic is from today, the second pic is from the 25th. All around I think it's starting to look good, but it seems I have several weeds growing in my grass that I pull out on a daily basis. My question is: can I spray my grass with ortho weed b gone for lawns?

I have 700sqft. I have put Milo down twice already, but haven't really seen a difference yet.

Grass is Bandera Bermuda from west coast sod in southern California.

My third pic shows the weeds I have. I think one is actually bermuda, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone help out? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

bmarley5780
Grass Type: bermuda; Princess 77

Re: Bandera Bermuda

Post by bmarley5780 » August 16th, 2015, 7:53 am

The two on the right are nutsedge. Lowes/HD have products to kill it.

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » August 16th, 2015, 9:05 am

Has the grass firmly rooted? Full sun and bermuda, it likely has. How many times have you mowed? You should have begun withdrawing the water at this time, you want deep roots.

Many of the herbicides aren't effective >85 degrees. Celcius is an exception, but like bmarley mentioned, the big box stores sale NutSedge killer.

And if you haven't already, read the Bermuda Bible in "Articles".

Sublime
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Sublime » August 16th, 2015, 12:32 pm

As already stated, with high temperatures the standard weed killers can damage your grass. Not sure what the first weed is, but the middle two appear to be nutsedge to me. Looks like the far right is just a bermuda seedhead, but I could be mistaken. Nutsedge feels triangular if you roll the stalk between your fingers. If that's what you have, weed-b-gon won't do anything to it. If you REALLY pay close attention to it and stay on top of it, you can follow the advice from this article and it should take care of the sedge. It's worked for me so far with my new lawn this year. Haven't seen any in a couple months (I hope I'm not jinxing myself lol).

"Tubers are key to nutsedge survival. If you can limit production of tubers, you’ll eventually control the nutsedge itself.

To limit tuber production, remove small nutsedge plants before they have 5 to 6 leaves; in summer this is about every 2 to 3 weeks. Up to this stage, the plant hasn’t formed new tubers yet. Removing as much of the plant as possible will force the tuber to produce a new plant, drawing its energy reserves from tuber production to the production of new leaves.

Continually removing shoots eventually depletes the energy reserves in the tuber, because the nutsedge will have to use 60% of its reserves to develop the first plant and 20% for the second. However, mature tubers can resprout more than 3 times. Even though these newer sprouts start out weaker than the previous ones, plants can develop from them and produce new tubers unless you remove them."

There is a lot more information about it here: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7432.html

Rhollow1
Grass Type: Bandera Bermuda

Post by Rhollow1 » August 17th, 2015, 10:02 pm

Thanks for all the help!

My grass has fully rooted and is bermuda, and have mowed it twice. I started the water withdraw yesterday. I am now watering it twice a week, two times a day for 30mins a station which will put down about 2in's in some parts of the grass while the rest gets only 1in a week. I did the tuna can test.

Thanks bmar and sub, I have purchased nutsedge weed killer from HD, but the temperatures here are over 95℉, so I'm not sure if it will do anything but burn my grass.

Should I apply it in the late afternoon while temperatures are under 85℉?

Oh and that bible comes in handy!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

1912ndgo
Grass Type: Zoysia

Post by 1912ndgo » January 26th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Any updates on how Bandera is performing for you? Thanks.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » January 26th, 2021, 10:27 pm

1912ndgo: you realize that the above postings were written six years ago, right?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » January 27th, 2021, 11:57 am

Yep. Plus the nature of most forums is you have a relatively small group of regular posters (measured in scores). Then you have folks looking for an answer to specific questions or just want to post their experience somewhere.

The OP wasn’t active on this. It’s for very long. So you’ll probably not see a response.