Leisure Time Zoysia

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
gearscout
Grass Type: Leisure Time Zoyzia
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Leisure Time Zoysia

Post by gearscout » April 4th, 2021, 10:49 am

Apologies for taking so long to update. (I actually lost sight of this URL for more than 2 years!)

OK, after three years of trying to get Leisure Time Zoysia to grow in my yard, I'm sorry to report it has serious failings.

In even the "sunniest" locations, the pre-green status of this sod reveals how the "sand dune effect" plagues my yard. This despite repeated efforts to fill in the depressions using SuperSod's SOIL3 product. Photo 4/4/2021

And it's not "greening" here. These are winter weed grasses...upper left in the photo. When summer comes, this area will likely be bare.

Meantime, I'm cutting back my Crepe Myrtles and other trees where possible to see if I can encourage growth. I'll put more money into fertilization and other treatments and repeat my rounds of Milorganite.

"Leisure Time?" Hardly. It has been a non-stop process of working my lawn to try to overcome all of these difficulties. The grass isn't all that pleasant to walk on (given the numerous "holes" in the sod layer) and it seems I'm battling every year to try new remedies. This variety has a very "rough" feel to it even in areas where it is growing pretty well.

I chose LTZ because I was advised this was a great, shade tolerant variety. It isn't. My situation is made worse by the slope in my yard, the tall trees etc. But I cannot recommend anyone waste their money on this Leisure Time Zoysia.

If you've had success dealing with these problems...please advise! ;-)