To much of a fight

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Jeff20
Grass Type: Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

To much of a fight

Post by Jeff20 » March 18th, 2016, 2:31 pm

Hey Fellows, I'm needing some expert advice on the maneuvering of a reel mower around small yard. I posted a couple of pics of my yard and as you see it's small and there is a wall dividing the two yards with no where to turn. would it be worth my while to get a reel are would it be a fight each time I mow? A friend of mine said with all the turning I'd be doing it would wear the cylinder out on the back pretty fast is that true? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

SACole
Grass Type: Bermuda and Empire Zoysia

Re: To much of a fight

Post by SACole » March 18th, 2016, 2:46 pm

The shape of your yard reminds me of a putting green. I don't think I have ever seen a square putting green. Those guys make turns nonstop and don't tear up the mowers. You might have trouble near the wall if it's a greens mower because of the axle from the transport wheels. You can take them off as Red has shown. I think more than anything it will just time some getting used to.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

Alan
Grass Type: St. Aug, but converting to Bermuda

Post by Alan » March 18th, 2016, 2:54 pm

Make a couple/few perimeter laps first to give yourself a place to turn around.

Jacob_S
Grass Type: Front centipede celebration bermuda blend/ Back a blend of Tifway419 and common seeded

Post by Jacob_S » March 18th, 2016, 3:05 pm

In my humble opinion the improvement in cut from a reel is worth the extra hassle in maneuvering. I've noticed great improvement in my lawn sense switching over.

Spammage
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda

Post by Spammage » March 18th, 2016, 3:53 pm

Not sure how you would manage the wall and/or curb wall. How do you get a rotary over that wall? My suggestion, keep your rotary for the back yard, and get a reel for the front that you can keep in the garage.

edit - I think I misunderstood. The wall just separates your yard from your neighbor's? I thought that gate to the back was your yard also. If this is the case then I agree with Alan - make a perimeter lap or three to give your self enough room to turn around. You will have to think about what type of reel you are wanting though. A greens mower will have the rear wheel studs sticking significantly which could create difficulties on your perimeter lap.

Redtenchu
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Redtenchu » March 18th, 2016, 5:24 pm

You'll be fine. Like others have already stated, you'll need to make a clean up pass after you're done mowing or make a few passes to give yourself turning room. A McLane or TC will not have issues, a greens mower might need the transport axels removed.

You won't wear out the drive cylinder from turning on grass, but turning on your driveway could cause issues over a long period of time.

What have you been using to mow it?

Jeff20

Post by Jeff20 » March 18th, 2016, 8:23 pm

Thanks guy's for all the advice and sorry for the long post. SA I've read on here about the guy's practicing w/ there machines so I guess I could make it work. Alan I have thought about to, but w/ about 3 passes I've about got it cut, and then trying to cut in diff. patterns. Again I think it would work. Jacob, I switched over last yr from a rotary to a manual reel and I noticed the difference significantly just buy getting to lower the HOC and the smoothness. Spam I'm using a 5 blade manual reel and after my topdressing is covered I'll use a 7 blade I bought over the winter. And lower to .5 or 1' . Can't never decide on the height I like. Red I have been checking out the 25' w/ roller TC from Dolphin. I think that covers everyone, again thanks guys. Oh Spam, no backyard just turf and pool.

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » March 18th, 2016, 9:42 pm

I have nothing to add, but your setup in the backyard is awesome.

Jeff20

Post by Jeff20 » March 18th, 2016, 9:59 pm

Thank You. I have to thank my wife for watching HGTV. No more clipping in the pool after blowing the deck off.