Brown Patch fungus in Centipede

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
cleanfreak
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Brown Patch fungus in Centipede

Post by cleanfreak » April 27th, 2016, 11:11 am

The cool mornings and warm afternoons here in South Ga has revealed several brown patch spots in my centipede lawn. After a small amount of research, it looks like Green Light's Fung Away is the best to treat my current problem and then start using it as a preventative measure going forward.

The issue is, it seems a bit hard to find in my area. Anybody have any suggestions on where to purchase, or any other product that you would recommend to treat brown patch?

Jeff20
Grass Type: Common Bermuda

Re: Brown Patch fungus in Centipede

Post by Jeff20 » April 27th, 2016, 11:38 am

Try This. Preventive Controls:
•Terrachlor (Granular)
•PCMB Turf Fungicides (Terrachlor-based granules)
•Safe-T Green (granular)
•Systemic Bayleton (granular and liquid)
•Fertilome Liquid Systemic (Banner-based liquid)
•Benomyl (granular or wettable powder)
•Bayleton (normally found adjacent to Greenlight in stores)

Control. The severity of the disease can be controlled to some extent by avoiding heavy applications of nitrogen during spring and fall, by watering early in the morning to remove dew and allow the grass to dry quickly and, where possible, by removing grass clippings during periods of disease activity.
The following are the recommended controls for Brown patch that you'll hear me rattle off time and time again.
To prevent it in the first place, start with one of the preventive controls listed below NOW, and do it again in 30 days. If and when you see circles pop up, also include a curative control on and around the circles. If you've already got brown patch, the use both a pretentative control and a curative control NOW ... followed by another curative in 30 days and another in 60 days.

Southernguy311
Grass Type: Platinum TE Paspalum up front and Bermuda in the rear

Post by Southernguy311 » April 27th, 2016, 8:18 pm

You don't say. I knew disease was abound since my Paspalum got hit this weekend, but check out the Centipede in my cul-de-sac this morning. Ewwwww

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by nclawnguy » April 27th, 2016, 10:13 pm

For active brown patch, heritage is the best, hand down. Make sure you're dealing with brown patch and not dollar spot. Heritage does nothing for dollar spot.

Products like armada, have 2 ai's that will treat both.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

cleanfreak

Post by cleanfreak » October 10th, 2016, 10:24 am

Well it is fall here in South Ga, and my centipede did not survive the brown patch. I hired a local maintenance team to do soil analysts, etc, and apply several treatments over the past 6 months. As the brown patch killed, it left donut circles with no grass, in essence, little bowls that were constantly filled with water after the summer thunderstorms. I paid to have all the holes filled in with sand to keep it dry and ended up sanding the entire yard to try to level out any low spots.

Long story short, my backyard is completely dead with only sand and weeds remaining. Luckily, it has not spread to the front for now, but with cool weather approaching my fear it will soon spread.

Another $10K gone again this year. I have spent about $15K total over the last 2 years fighting this disease. I am frustrated to say the least. Any help or advise is appreciated.

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419 Monostand

Post by Mightyquinn » October 10th, 2016, 10:33 am

cleanfreak wrote:Well it is fall here in South Ga, and my centipede did not survive the brown patch. I hired a local maintenance team to do soil analysts, etc, and apply several treatments over the past 6 months. As the brown patch killed, it left donut circles with no grass, in essence, little bowls that were constantly filled with water after the summer thunderstorms. I paid to have all the holes filled in with sand to keep it dry and ended up sanding the entire yard to try to level out any low spots.

Long story short, my backyard is completely dead with only sand and weeds remaining. Luckily, it has not spread to the front for now, but with cool weather approaching my fear it will soon spread.

Another $10K gone again this year. I have spent about $15K total over the last 2 years fighting this disease. I am frustrated to say the least. Any help or advise is appreciated.
How many sq/ft do you have??? You could have resodded with Bermuda for that price.

REEL MEN MOW

cleanfreak

Post by cleanfreak » October 10th, 2016, 11:36 am

I have an 1/2 acre, but the house, driveway, walkways, etc, take up most of it. I have about 10K sq/ft of sod area, with the back yard being roughly 6K sq ft. I have re-sodded twice.

The first sod was laid when the house was built in 2013. Due to drainage issues the back yard was a soupy mess and it killed most of the grass in 2 years. I need to note, there was no sign of brown patch in this sod even though the back yard always stayed wet. In the summer of 2015 I paid to have the entire back yard redone. I had all of the drainage issues corrected and then new sod was installed. It looked great for a while until spring of this year when the brown patch arrived.

I believe the soil that was brought in to cure the drainage issues was filled with the disease and the reason I have the issue now, and not the previously 2 years. I should have stated above that the $15K spent was not entirely for brown patch. Most was for the renovation. Between sanding and treatments, about $3K has been spent on the brown patch.

I know Bermuda is 'king' on this forum, but it my area it is considered a weed. I am considering another full renovation with zoysia, but the thought of spending another $10K for a reno and then losing it to brown patch scares me to make this investment.

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419 Monostand

Post by Mightyquinn » October 10th, 2016, 12:37 pm

Where do you live?? I can't see on the Yard Help app.

REEL MEN MOW

cleanfreak

Post by cleanfreak » October 10th, 2016, 4:11 pm

I live in Thomasville, Ga

Jayhawkmba
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia, tifGrand, & 419

Post by Jayhawkmba » October 11th, 2016, 5:15 pm

is the area that is showing brown patch, is it a part-sun area? i'd love to see another zoysia member :)

as for other grass options, soil tests confirm (ph) they'd be viable?

Begotten
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda, St. Augustine

Post by Begotten » October 11th, 2016, 9:15 pm

cleanfreak wrote:Well it is fall here in South Ga, and my centipede did not survive the brown patch. I hired a local maintenance team to do soil analysts, etc, and apply several treatments over the past 6 months. As the brown patch killed, it left donut circles with no grass, in essence, little bowls that were constantly filled with water after the summer thunderstorms. I paid to have all the holes filled in with sand to keep it dry and ended up sanding the entire yard to try to level out any low spots.

Wow. Brown patch takeover was what originally lead me to tear out my Centipede lawn and end up with Bermuda. No disease problems since then while I currently see it hitting lawns all over my neighborhood.

Something to think about.

Kmartel
Grass Type: KBG/PR

Post by Kmartel » October 12th, 2016, 4:44 pm

I am no centipede grass expert so maybe the issue is with the grass species but I would be more inclined to blame severe disease outbreak in the management practices of the turf. Specifically the watering, fertilizing and mowing techniques, rates and frequency. Make sure all those thing are done right and then go another season with your existing lawn. You can change the species but you could be wasting money if your repeating bad practices.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

Southernguy311
Grass Type: Platinum TE Paspalum up front and Bermuda in the rear

Post by Southernguy311 » October 12th, 2016, 8:18 pm

South Ga had quite the conditions for fungus this year. Have you actually sent tissue samples into the Extension agency to confirm you are dealing with brown patch? There are other factors to consider such a Centipede decline or ph issues. Pythium and Curvularia were extremely active in our area this year and are soilborne. Being they are soilborne means unless you aerate and treat the fungal problem with the ground opened up several times, you are going to have a problem with it coming back over and over. Ask me how I know this.

I can relate with your issues directly since we live 30 min apart.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » December 11th, 2016, 6:56 pm

Centipede is not known for getting diseased, but it doesn't matter what kind of grass you have if the soil stays soggy for days after a rainstorm. If you are certain the soil is profile has been fixed for proper drainage, then give it another try.