Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Southernguy311
Grass Type: Platinum TE Paspalum up front and Bermuda in the rear
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Leveling project, 2016 progress

Post by Southernguy311 » June 14th, 2016, 11:07 pm

Ware wrote:
SACole wrote:I feel like I would have results similar to yours. I have some bad areas. I'm cutting with a 26" tee/collar mower and it does surprisingly well but I feel that because it's so wide I don't scalp some areas I normally would with say a 18 or 21".
If I bought another reel, I would probably look for a 26" - they have an attractive HOC range and most have a 7 or 8-blade reel that yields a clip rate closer to my desired HOC.
I'm still very intrigued by the JD 220E. I believe FOC is adjustable on board and once set maintains the same whether throttle is up or down. One knob HOC adjustments also. "If" I catch one on auction I plan on buying one and possibly selling some other pieces.

Also onboard backlapping

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Redtenchu
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Redtenchu » June 15th, 2016, 6:14 am

Southernguy311 wrote:
Ware wrote:
SACole wrote:I feel like I would have results similar to yours. I have some bad areas. I'm cutting with a 26" tee/collar mower and it does surprisingly well but I feel that because it's so wide I don't scalp some areas I normally would with say a 18 or 21".
If I bought another reel, I would probably look for a 26" - they have an attractive HOC range and most have a 7 or 8-blade reel that yields a clip rate closer to my desired HOC.
I'm still very intrigued by the JD 220E. I believe FOC is adjustable on board and once set maintains the same whether throttle is up or down. One knob HOC adjustments also. "If" I catch one on auction I plan on buying one and possibly selling some other pieces.

Also onboard backlapping

+1 for all 3 comments!

Ware

Post by Ware » June 15th, 2016, 9:03 am

Redtenchu wrote:
Southernguy311 wrote:I'm still very intrigued by the JD 220E. I believe FOC is adjustable on board and once set maintains the same whether throttle is up or down. One knob HOC adjustments also. "If" I catch one on auction I plan on buying one and possibly selling some other pieces.

Also onboard backlapping
+1 for all 3 comments!
For sure. I've watched this more than a couple times...

At 1:46 you can see the clip rate adjustments. It looks like you can go from 0.16-0.48" with an 11-blade reel and 0.25-0.75" with a 7-blade reel.

tbdh20
Grass Type: 419 Front / Empire Back

Post by tbdh20 » June 15th, 2016, 5:17 pm

It's definitely a process.. trying to learn with the experiences of others as I go. I'm currently cutting with a C-25 and a old school craftsman/Mclane (I think 20") for the beat up work. The plan as of now is another sanding when it completely fills in (a couple weeks hopefully). I think that I could maintain most of the lawn aesthetically at +/- 1/2". I do have 3 severe depressions one at the water main, roadside irrigation shutoff and the grade between my neighbors property that are several inches deep. Not sure I'll tackle those this season. Side note, Primo went down last evening and watered in today, trying to maintain 9/16" as long as I can.

tbdh20

Post by tbdh20 » June 15th, 2016, 5:51 pm

For the larger depressions that are several inches deep, I'm considering filling with sand and sodding for faster results. Thoughts?

SACole
Grass Type: Bermuda and Empire Zoysia

Post by SACole » June 15th, 2016, 10:06 pm

You could dig up the areas and fill and the place the sod back on top of it slightly higher than your grade. It will settle over time.

tbdh20

Post by tbdh20 » June 16th, 2016, 11:09 am

SACole wrote:You could dig up the areas and fill and the place the sod back on top of it slightly higher than your grade. It will settle over time.
I didn't considered digging the area up. The three worst areas are approximately 5'x 5' and irregular in shape/depths. Digging them out slightly and squared should make that project a cleaner install. Thanks!

tbdh20

Post by tbdh20 » June 17th, 2016, 1:49 pm

Cut the lawn this morning @ 9/16" and have to say it looked better.. maybe the PGR/higher cut or a combo. 30 minutes later scalped back to 7/16". If I'm going to re scalp and top dress in a couple weeks , figured just keep it ugly (maybe better spread and less material). In the scalped areas I'm sure the PGR app was wasted?

tbdh20

Post by tbdh20 » June 21st, 2016, 3:48 pm

About a month in, for better or worse.

tbdh20

Post by tbdh20 » June 22nd, 2016, 3:27 pm

I would appreciate your input guys (how would you proceed?). The lawn is not flat and has a grade in several areas, deep depressions, etc... Considering reapplying sand next week but the lawn hasn't filled in completely as planned. I'm over month in from the initial leveling attempt, am I jumping the the gun here? @ 9/16" yesterday.

tbdh20

Post by tbdh20 » June 23rd, 2016, 2:25 pm

After a bit of research, I'm just not there... Too much input, to fast on the lawn. The level of cut I'd like to maintain is not happening this season. Nothing good happens fast, so will raise the HOC and let it fill in. Although I appreciate mowing less often, think another couple weeks of growing wild without PGR would have been a benefit.

Redtenchu

Post by Redtenchu » June 23rd, 2016, 3:06 pm

I think it's looking good, just needs more time to fill in a few spots.

I've never done this so I have no input on how long you should wait or how to grade.

tbdh20

Post by tbdh20 » June 23rd, 2016, 3:37 pm

Thanks Red!

Agreed! At this point I just need it to fill in. Trying to learn patience.

iriasj2009
Grass Type: Celebration bermuda

Post by iriasj2009 » June 23rd, 2016, 4:20 pm

You and Red are correct. It's looking great and will look even better, just be patient. I'm having a similar issue with my new sod. I want to mow it as low as possible while keeping it green, but for now I'm just cutting it higher.

I think you have 3 options:
1. Wait to sand and just mow at a higher cut until it fills in. Next year, scalp, verticut, then scalp again, sand it. (This is what I would do)
2. Sand it again ( not as heavy). And Deal with all that sand until it fills in. Or...
3. Rent a verticutter and go over it. It helps out with low and high spots, and lightly topdress. Will take while before it is all green again.

I hope this helps.

tbdh20

Post by tbdh20 » June 24th, 2016, 3:53 pm

iriasj2009,

Thank you for the insight!

1. Wait to sand and just mow at a higher cut until it fills in. Next year, scalp, verticut, then scalp again, sand it. (This is what I would do)

Outside of patience, probably the best advice. Raise the HOC, maintain PGR and N apps. In my area, sourcing a rental verticutter is nonexistent.

sain6815
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by sain6815 » June 24th, 2016, 5:06 pm

I'm on the plugging train now... Lol. But purchasing a sod plugger may not be a bad idea to get those areas to fill in. Just transplant plugs from good areas to thin areas.

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help Appg gym ihvgvghmu

iriasj2009

Post by iriasj2009 » June 24th, 2016, 5:25 pm

tbdh20 wrote:iriasj2009,

In my area, sourcing a rental verticutter is nonexistent.
I agree.
Man, sorry to hear this. I was advised by the guys here to use a verticutter to level/smooth things out and it does work. U can set it as deep as 1" or just enough to tickle the grass. I used one to prepare a super bumpy lawn prior to seeding and it worked like da charm.
I'm going to start renting one at the beggining of each season as part of my maintenance program. Have you called around? I think it's worth 1.5 hour trip to get one.

Here I went 1 inch deep to remove st Augustine and get it ready for perennial rye.

I was able to mow it at 7/16 with no issues, but had to mow it at 1". Try keeping up with PRG lol. Basically had to mow everyday to keep it at 7/16"

tbdh20

Post by tbdh20 » June 27th, 2016, 5:38 pm

iriasj2009 wrote:
tbdh20 wrote:iriasj2009,

In my area, sourcing a rental verticutter is nonexistent.
I agree.
Man, sorry to hear this. I was advised by the guys here to use a verticutter to level/smooth things out and it does work. U can set it as deep as 1" or just enough to tickle the grass. I used one to prepare a super bumpy lawn prior to seeding and it worked like da charm.
I'm going to start renting one at the beggining of each season as part of my maintenance program. Have you called around? I think it's worth 1.5 hour trip to get one.

Here I went 1 inch deep to remove st Augustine and get it ready for perennial rye.

I was able to mow it at 7/16 with no issues, but had to mow it at 1". Try keeping up with PRG lol. Basically had to mow everyday to keep it at 7/16"

Forgive my ignorance. In my area sunbelt rents what appears to be the Classen you used, using a flail blade setup. I haven't researched verticut machines enough but was suggested earlier in this thread to rent a delta blade setup (That I cant find). I'm sure it's a good, better, best thing. Is a flail set up a complete waste of time in my situation (not a high end fairway.. :no:.. yet!). I'll continue to read up on it, any insight appreciated!

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » June 27th, 2016, 5:45 pm

Home depot used to rent verticutters here in North Raleigh. However, I don't know if they still do, they had 4-5 for sale a few years back.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

iriasj2009

Post by iriasj2009 » June 27th, 2016, 5:55 pm

:aikido: That's exactly what I used, flail blade, and it worked like a charm. I really liked how it operated and helped smooth everything out. It's more aggressive than the delta blade since it tends to tear more instead of cut, but for leveling high spots, it works.

Flail blade: