Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Movingshrub
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Best Bermuda Variant - North Alabama

Post by Movingshrub » May 24th, 2016, 2:10 pm

ALCON:

My wife and I bought a house last year in Huntsville, AL. It was from the estate from the originals owners and very over grown. I have managed to cut back almost all of the overgrown trees to ensure there is sufficient sunlight for the existing Bermuda lawn (no clue what type). There are areas in both the front and back where I am intending to seed to fill in spots that were previously covered with English ivy.

I am considering Yukon, Rivera, and Princess 77 seed. Is there any guidance in terms of which one, or which blend(s), would be the most appropriate for my location?

We are in a transition zone, USDA hardiness zone 7b 5-10F. Thank you.

Begotten
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda, St. Augustine

Re: Best Bermuda Variant - North Alabama

Post by Begotten » May 25th, 2016, 12:53 am

How big of an area are you thinking of seeding? Is there a reason you have decided to use seed?

Redtenchu

Post by Redtenchu » May 25th, 2016, 5:57 am

Movingshrub wrote:ALCON:

My wife and I bought a house last year in Huntsville, AL. It was from the estate from the originals owners and very over grown. I have managed to cut back almost all of the overgrown trees to ensure there is sufficient sunlight for the existing Bermuda lawn (no clue what type). There are areas in both the front and back where I am intending to seed to fill in spots that were previously covered with English ivy.

I am considering Yukon, Rivera, and Princess 77 seed. Is there any guidance in terms of which one, or which blend(s), would be the most appropriate for my location?

We are in a transition zone, USDA hardiness zone 7b 5-10F. Thank you.

I would not purchase seed, but instead use a Proplugger. You will use it to remove small plugs of healthy grass from your existing lawn and move it to the areas that you'd like to have Bermuda. This will be far cheaper than the seed route and yield much better results over time. This tool has proven to be very valuable, and versatile.

Just my $0.02

Southernguy311
Grass Type: Platinum TE Paspalum up front and Bermuda in the rear

Post by Southernguy311 » May 25th, 2016, 7:00 am

Bermuda seed :no:

Sod or pulling your own plugs :clapping:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419 Monostand

Post by Mightyquinn » May 25th, 2016, 2:08 pm

I think pictures would help here so we can see how much of an area needs fixing. You very well could just feed and water the Bermuda you have to fill in the bare spots and plugging isn't a bad idea either to help speed up the process.

BTW, are/were you in the Army? The whole ALCON kind of gives it away. :)

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub » May 26th, 2016, 10:53 pm

The area is about 8500 square feet, between the back yard, the side, and some significant areas in the front yard.

Mightyquinn: I work in sustainment for Army Aviation (MTADS/PNVS on the AH-64 D/E) if that means anything to you.

The reason I've considered seed is, that I perceive it to be a lower cost (please chime in if I am wrong), and considering I have no clue what version of Bermuda I currently have, so I assumed Yukon, Rivera, or P77 should all be viable good options. With that being said, I am open to vegetative solutions.

So, first off, this is the arial image of the property when I bought the house

These two pictures show the front yard, with some areas that previously had a bunch of weeds, a defunct flower bed that I removed, and an area covered with English ivy.

More pictures to follow.

Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub » May 26th, 2016, 10:58 pm

These two photos capture the side of the yard. It was so overgrown when I bought the house, that there were two v-8 engines, along with the transmissions, hidden in the foliage.

And for the backyard...

Lets just say my Stihl chainsaw has gotten PLENTY of use in clearing this out.

I am willing to go with sod if it's the right choice. if it is, I don't know which type of grass to plant.

This was the backyard before http://photos3.zillowstatic.com/p_f/ISt ... 000000.jpg

Spammage
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda

Post by Spammage » May 26th, 2016, 11:57 pm

I see a couple of concerns. Seed or sod will have to be watered frequently during establishment. Seed for example will need to be watered 4-5 times per day for a few minutes to keep the seed bed moist. Sod will have to be watered enough to keep the soil moist under the sod. Do you have an irrigation system that is capable of this?

My other concern is shade. Most of the areas you photographed have fairly heavy shade which doesn't make for happy bermuda.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub » May 27th, 2016, 8:24 am

Negative on the irrigation system.

Regarding shade, the areas get plenty of sunlight. I don't think the photos are reflective of the amount of sunlight the area gets. The house faces north-south, the backyard is on the east side. I took the photos in the evening when the house would block sunlight from the setting sun, for example. With that being said, I have been considering Tif-Grand as an alternative or potentially a Zoysia variant.

HitEmTrue

Post by HitEmTrue » May 27th, 2016, 8:59 am

Movingshrub wrote:It was so overgrown when I bought the house, that there were two v-8 engines, along with the transmissions, hidden in the foliage.
You know you're a redneck when... :lol:

Keep updating; would love to see the transformation!

imauafan

Post by imauafan » May 27th, 2016, 9:05 am

A landscaper told me that the best sod he has seen in this area is from New Market Sod Farm. He said they cut it thicker than other places. He put some in my backyard that was torn up while landscaping and it is doing well so far (~3 months). I called about 2 weeks ago and they were out of Bermuda but I haven't called back since then. I would like to get a pallet to cover up some bare areas but have been trying to get the ground softened up a bit using the BLSC/KH recipe on this site. I have very hard red clay so I'm not sure the answer is throwing down some sod until I can get the soil issue worked out. Good luck! Based on the pics you posted it looks like you may be in south Huntsville?

Begotten

Post by Begotten » May 27th, 2016, 11:56 pm

I would definitely go with plugs. I redid my front yard with plugs I bought online from a sod farm and it turned out great.

hambone79
Grass Type: Palisades Zoysia

Post by hambone79 » May 29th, 2016, 10:01 pm

Sod, Sod, Sod..... You are more than likely gonna end up with a mess if you seed and probably not get the results you expected. Take all that in consideration, with the inferiority of bermuda seed and all, I see know reason you don't sod the area. There is a big drop off in quality when you compare the seeded varieties to the certified sod types of 419, Celebration, Tifgrand, etc. The areas in the pics look perfect for Celebration bermuda. Celebration, can tolerate as much shade as any bermuda variety and I personally think it's the best bermuda out at the moment. For your situation, I consider it the perfect grass!

Begotten

Post by Begotten » May 30th, 2016, 12:03 am

hambone79 wrote:Sod, Sod, Sod..... You are more than likely gonna end up with a mess if you seed and probably not get the results you expected. Take all that in consideration, with the inferiority of bermuda seed and all, I see know reason you don't sod the area. There is a big drop off in quality when you compare the seeded varieties to the certified sod types of 419, Celebration, Tifgrand, etc. The areas in the pics look perfect for Celebration bermuda. Celebration, can tolerate as much shade as any bermuda variety and I personally think it's the best bermuda out at the moment. For your situation, I consider it the perfect grass!
I have to agree :D

Southernguy311
Grass Type: Platinum TE Paspalum up front and Bermuda in the rear

Post by Southernguy311 » May 30th, 2016, 7:44 pm

I'm considering laying some Celebration along my fence line in the back yard. University of Florida has had good luck at their sports fields.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub » June 7th, 2016, 8:28 am

I have been reconsidering sod vs seed.

I have looked around for Celebration in my area. I haven't been able to find it, so I looked to see how much celebration plugs were going for, vs Tifgrand sod. The price for Tifgrand here is $160 a pallet (500sqft). I have 8500 sqft to cover, so $2720 for the sod, not including delivery. For Celebration plugs, I saw on Hancock Seed Company, 36 plugs for $39, covering 64sqft (12" spacing), and I would need 133 sets of plugs for a total cost of $5,187.

Between the two, tifgrand looks like the value winner and I have an instant lawn.

My other concern is Tifgrand bermuda or a Zoysia.

The sod choices in my area are Tifway 419, Tifsport, Tifgrand, Zeon Zoysia, Emerald zoysia, and Meyer Zoysia. I don't know enough about the zoysias in terms of how they stack up vs Tifgrand. Any insights as to why I would select one over the other?

I am not interested in a fescue lawn.

HitEmTrue

Post by HitEmTrue » June 7th, 2016, 10:41 am

I'm not attempting to suggesting that you should (or should not) want it, but St. Augustine isn't one of your choices? It does well in shady areas.

Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub » June 7th, 2016, 1:37 pm

HitEmTrue wrote:I'm not attempting to suggesting that you should (or should not) want it, but St. Augustine isn't one of your choices? It does well in shady areas.
I am wanting a turf that will stand up to traffic from kids and pets, which made me lean towards Bermuda or potentially Zoysia. I didn't think St Augustine was as competitive in that regard.

HitEmTrue

Post by HitEmTrue » June 7th, 2016, 2:01 pm

If the Bermuda doesn't get enough sunlight, it won't compete...even without traffic.

How many hours of sunlight?

Movingshrub

Post by Movingshrub » June 7th, 2016, 4:22 pm

I don't really know. Is there a good method of measuring it? Do I just need to go out and take photos every few hours? Also, how does one calculate sun vs shade for filtered light versus full on direct sun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk