Drive XLR8

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Main_sail22
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Drive XLR8

Post by Main_sail22 » June 8th, 2016, 12:22 pm

Anyone have experience using Drive XLR8? I am thinking about using this as my post emergent herbicide...specifically in combating crab grass that is beginning to sprout (Couldn't apply pre-m at the time of laying new sod down). I was thinking of using Tenacity, but it is not safe for Zoysia grass. Thanks in advance.

HitEmTrue
Grass Type: Bermuda

Re: Drive XLR8

Post by HitEmTrue » June 8th, 2016, 12:43 pm

You may find this thread interesting

Drive 75 (in that thread) has been replaced by Drive XLR8.

Billy
Grass Type: Cool season and warm season

Post by Billy » June 8th, 2016, 12:58 pm

Drive XLR8 can be used in zoysiagrass without any issue. It has some activity on a few broadleaf weeds, but it's main claim to fame is crabgrass control. Apply at 0.75# ai/A and include MSO as your surfactant. Get ready to watch those crbagrass plants fry.

Main_sail22

Post by Main_sail22 » June 8th, 2016, 1:11 pm

Thanks gents for the reading material from the other forum. I will do another day or two of research and post the outcomes with pics in http://aroundtheyard.com/renovations/za ... 18920.html found in the renovation section of this website.

Southernguy311
Grass Type: Platinum TE Paspalum up front and Bermuda in the rear

Post by Southernguy311 » June 8th, 2016, 1:30 pm

There is some in my cabinet at home. I am sincerely hoping I never have to use it in my lawn again, but it's there if I need it. Control on crabgrass is amazing. As mentioned prior, make sure you use Methylated Seed Oil(MSO) as the surfactant for this specific application.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Main_sail22

Post by Main_sail22 » June 8th, 2016, 1:36 pm

Just to clarify, you sprayed the entire yard correct? Not just spot spray....

Southernguy311

Post by Southernguy311 » June 8th, 2016, 1:41 pm

Main_sail22 wrote:Just to clarify, you sprayed the entire yard correct? Not just spot spray....
I spot sprayed the active plants.

If I'm not mistaken Drive has some pre emergent impact on crabgrass, but I don't see the value in it when something as inexpensive as Prodiamine does the same thing. Start planning and preparing for next season by getting on a split app pre-emergent program if you haven't already. This time next year you won't be worrying about Crabgrass

Main_sail22

Post by Main_sail22 » June 8th, 2016, 1:57 pm

Southern,
As of right now, I have not formulated a strategy for a pre-m program....still trying to get the lawn established and green haha. Between that, a fert schedule, micro schedule, etc. I am feelin a bit overwhelmed, but I'll get it though...Ill have to look up what goes into a good pre-m program for the type of grass I have.

Southernguy311

Post by Southernguy311 » June 9th, 2016, 12:19 am

Main_sail22 wrote:Southern,
As of right now, I have not formulated a strategy for a pre-m program....still trying to get the lawn established and green haha. Between that, a fert schedule, micro schedule, etc. I am feelin a bit overwhelmed, but I'll get it though...Ill have to look up what goes into a good pre-m program for the type of grass I have.
Prodiamine should do the trick and is very inexpensive

Main_sail22

Post by Main_sail22 » June 9th, 2016, 10:31 am

Thanks for the advise SG...I will deff. take that into consideration.

TSGarp007
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by TSGarp007 » June 10th, 2016, 2:52 pm

I spot treated the fescue lawn at my last house with XLR8 (with surfactant)and it was amazing. I knew nothing about anything but just followed some guidance from forums like this. That stuff really worked. I was no longer concerned if some crabgrass made it through...

Ware

Surfactant question...

Post by Ware » July 22nd, 2016, 8:58 am

Billy wrote:Drive XLR8 can be used in zoysiagrass without any issue. It has some activity on a few broadleaf weeds, but it's main claim to fame is crabgrass control. Apply at 0.75# ai/A and include MSO as your surfactant. Get ready to watch those crbagrass plants fry.
Billy, what are your thoughts on adding a little surfactant (perhaps 0.15% v/v) to the surfactant?

Billy

Post by Billy » July 22nd, 2016, 12:42 pm

I don't think that adding any surfactant beyond what the label recommends would do any good. It even could do some harm under the high temps of summer.

Surfactants aren't additives that take herbicides to another level. They have a specific place and improve results only under specific conditions -- which are when recommended by the product label.

Redtenchu

Post by Redtenchu » July 22nd, 2016, 1:19 pm

+1 Billy

[ Reel Men Mow]
Last edited by Redtenchu on July 22nd, 2016, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ware

Post by Ware » July 22nd, 2016, 2:21 pm

Billy wrote:I don't think that adding any surfactant beyond what the label recommends would do any good. It even could do some harm under the high temps of summer.

Surfactants aren't additives that take herbicides to another level. They have a specific place and improve results only under specific conditions -- which are when recommended by the product label.

I was just funning with you a little. :D

On a serious note, I would like to know more about where MSO falls in the surfactant spectrum. Is it suitable for use with a PGR like Primo?

Rockinar
Grass Type: Tiff 419

Post by Rockinar » July 23rd, 2016, 12:47 am

Isnt Drive XLR8 just Quinclorac?

Ware

Post by Ware » July 23rd, 2016, 12:49 am

Rockinar wrote:Isnt Drive XLR8 just Quinclorac?
Yes

Billy

Post by Billy » July 25th, 2016, 2:45 am

Ware wrote:On a serious note, I would like to know more about where MSO falls in the surfactant spectrum. Is it suitable for use with a PGR like Primo?
This article talks about spray adjuvants a bit:

http://sturf.lib.msu.edu/article/2008jan16.pdf

When herbicide manufacturers decide on which adjuvant to use, it's all about what is needed for best plant uptake. Since most herbicide uptake is translaminar (passive method of chemical solubility across cuticles and membranes), some chemistries will need some help to penetrate leaf cuticles, while others penetrate quite well without help. Phenoxy herbicides (2,4-D, MCPP, MCPA, dicmaba) penetrate very well without help. Sulfonylurea herbicides (Certainty, 2/3 of the Celsius actives, metsulfuron, et al) need some help, which is why NIS is recommended. Quinclorac is a strange bird because BASF has always recommended MSO for its Drive products, but other quinclorac products say that NIS will work well. MSO works to increase lipid solubility (get across leaf cuticles better), while NIS mainly helps to decrease the angle of repose of a spray droplet (spread it out better). Using MSO when its not required won't decrease herbicide efficacy, but it won't help it, and it may increase turf injury.

I don't believe that the Primo label recommends the addition of an adjuvant. Because of that, I probably wouldn't add one. Of course, you could always experiment and report back what you find. Perhaps find an area of your lawn that's out of the way or back behind the shed and make side-by-side apps of Primo, one with an adjuvant and one without. Let us know what you find!

Ware

Post by Ware » July 25th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Billy wrote:I don't believe that the Primo label recommends the addition of an adjuvant. Because of that, I probably wouldn't add one.
+1 Billy

I believe you are correct. The Primo label briefly mentions surfactant for tank mixtures, but not for Primo alone. Also, this UGA article states: It is not necessary to add a surfactant to trinexapac-ethyl.

Sounds like the some is good, more is better approach may not be necessary for Primo.

Redtenchu

surfactant for primo

Post by Redtenchu » July 25th, 2016, 1:31 pm

Ware wrote:The Primo label briefly mentions surfactant for tank mixtures, but not for Primo alone.

Interesting, I completely overlooked that. Maybe the increased effectiveness I noticed using a surfactant was caused by another factor (water/fert/temps?). I will defiantly take that into consideration for my next application.