What's your secret in beating drought stress?

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Nixnix42
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: What's your secret in beating drought stress?

Post by Nixnix42 » July 20th, 2016, 7:32 am

dfw_pilot wrote:When you act like you can tell who it was by their writing patterns, it comes across more like bluster, which there has already been plenty of around here for my taste.
bpgreen wrote:you've never run a forum...you've never graded hundreds of papers.
Many here have a growing uneasiness with how some members perceive themselves, and statements telling me what I have and haven't done in life help perpetuate that narrative. I think that's part of the reason for the legs of this thread. The bigger point is not about banning accounts. A puppet account is like moss: it's not the cause of a problem, it's an effect of a problem. I'll say it again: share what you know; stay humble; and continue to lift people up. In doing so, it makes BL/ATY much more than just a lawn forum.
+1

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » July 20th, 2016, 8:39 am

Best of Luck to all.

-30-

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » July 20th, 2016, 8:46 am

dfw_pilot wrote:When you act like you can tell who it was by their writing patterns, it comes across more like bluster, which there has already been plenty of around here for my taste.
bpgreen wrote:you've never run a forum...you've never graded hundreds of papers.
Many here have a growing uneasiness with how some members perceive themselves, and statements telling me what I have and haven't done in life help perpetuate that narrative. I think that's part of the reason for the legs of this thread. The bigger point is not about banning accounts. A puppet account is like moss: it's not the cause of a problem, it's an effect of a problem. I'll say it again: share what you know; stay humble; and continue to lift people up. In doing so, it makes BL/ATY much more than just a lawn forum.
So calling BP's claim bluster is uplifting?

Fwiw, the drama we see here is repeated every July and August. It appears we have folks with too much time on their hands.

Also, as someone who worked inside many court rooms in a previous career, I can tell you that most convictions happen because the perps incriminate themselves.

People talk. And those folks talk to other people. The beauty of email is it can be forwarded.

Michael Wise
Grass Type: Tifway 419

Post by Michael Wise » July 20th, 2016, 10:26 am

So nobody knows who it is?

I was just curious. That's all.

It wasn't me.

wiredawg

Post by wiredawg » July 20th, 2016, 6:04 pm

Hello folks...let me try a direct question regarding watering. Grass type:plain old Bermuda, nothing fancy in clay type soil, location; middle Ga area 100 miles south of Atlanta...temps from the last few weeks been in the mid 90s - 100s(hot) and random very spotty thunderstorms. For the most part, I have the best lawn in the entire neighborhood...but, doesn't mean all that much, when I see pics here. And for some reason nobody and I mean nobody appreciates a nice lawn around these parts...sure, flower arrangements are decent here and there but grass...no one understands my pain. LOL Anywho...because of the heat and lack of nature's rainfall, what's the thought regarding sprinkler watering? Yes, school of thought is deep watering once a week. But with the heat and I also let the grass talk me hence wittering/the spotty discoloration (that weak, dark green color) etc...and remember clay soil. Should I; extend the time watering once per week, add a day, add (2) days, will this promote shallow root issue? Oh and I do have a Sycamore in the middle of the main yard. (competing for water, nutrients, sunlight). And Yes I do lots of pruning on the lower branches to allow sunlight to push through. There is a pic of my yard in the "2016 Southern Lawn Pic"/tab 37 posted just look for the Pokemon character and my handle...LOL Any thoughts...thx.

Michael Wise

Post by Michael Wise » July 20th, 2016, 7:13 pm

Wiredawg,

How much water, in inches, are you putting down per "deep and infrequent" watering cycle?

How deep is that water penetrating into the soil?

On my yard, 1" of watering gets me about 3-4 days before I HAVE to water again. 1/2" of watering ALSO gets me about 3-4 days before I have to water again.

Deep and infrequent around here means 1" once a week. That's a good place to start.

But if I ran into the same problem as you, here is what I'd try.

Let's say 1" gets you 3 days before your grass starts wilting and asking for water. I would then try watering 1/2" at a time and see how many days that gets me. If it gets you the same or close to the same time in between waterings, I would start watering 1/2" at a time when the grass ask for it.

Is that ideal? Probably not. But I don't like wasting water on my lawn. I want to use as little is environmentally responsible, and not spend every dollar I earn on irrigation.

Play around with it. You'll stumble upon something that works the best for you. You aren't going to damage your lawns root depth by doing some experimenting with your irrigation schedule.

Tony alony
Grass Type: St. Augustine

Post by Tony alony » July 21st, 2016, 5:45 pm

+ 1 Michel Wise. Every lawn needs water. How much?,.... That is the question. It varies.... based on your micro climate. Me thinks.

Redtenchu

Post by Redtenchu » July 21st, 2016, 6:13 pm

+1 Tony, on your +1 of MW

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » July 22nd, 2016, 9:39 am

One way to estimate how much you need to water is to look at evapotranspiration data. If you need to water after three days and evapotranspiration rates were 0.25 inches per day, you would want to replace 0.75 inches of water (0.25x3=0.75).

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » July 22nd, 2016, 9:02 pm

Thanks, Bernstem.
bernstem wrote:One way to estimate how much you need to water is to look at evapotranspiration data. If you need to water after three days and evapotranspiration rates were 0.25 inches per day, you would want to replace 0.75 inches of water (0.25x3=0.75).
This makes perfect sense. Knowing your daily deficit from evaporation/transpiration would be a good way to learn your turf's needs. I did some brief reading, and I'm confused how scientists can determine "evapotranspiration". Wouldn't that be a plant specific mechanism or a some sort of trait for a particular plant. It appears from what I read is that most data on evaporation is geared towards farm crops. Still; valuable data that can be followed by turf growers.
Thanks again, for introducing this subject. :good:

Ware

Post by Ware » July 22nd, 2016, 11:02 pm

Tony alony wrote:...I did some brief reading, and I'm confused how scientists can determine "evapotranspiration".
Have you stumbled upon this ATY article?

Water Balance Irrigation: Beyond Deep & Infrequent

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » July 23rd, 2016, 4:16 am

Ware wrote:
Tony alony wrote:...I did some brief reading, and I'm confused how scientists can determine "evapotranspiration".
Have you stumbled upon this ATY article?

Water Balance Irrigation: Beyond Deep & Infrequent
Yes I have seen it, and I've mentioned it as advice to others in one of my posts. I also found this site to play with the notion that you're really learning something, when in fact, the data is historical, and compiled who-knows-when. : https://www3.epa.gov/watersense/new_hom ... inder.html

Thanks for the tip. Now,I'll just resume stumbling. LOL

wiredawg

Post by wiredawg » July 23rd, 2016, 3:38 pm

Michael Wise wrote:Wiredawg,

How much water, in inches, are you putting down per "deep and infrequent" watering cycle?

How deep is that water penetrating into the soil?

On my yard, 1" of watering gets me about 3-4 days before I HAVE to water again. 1/2" of watering ALSO gets me about 3-4 days before I have to water again.

Deep and infrequent around here means 1" once a week. That's a good place to start.

But if I ran into the same problem as you, here is what I'd try.

Let's say 1" gets you 3 days before your grass starts wilting and asking for water. I would then try watering 1/2" at a time and see how many days that gets me. If it gets you the same or close to the same time in between waterings, I would start watering 1/2" at a time when the grass ask for it.

Is that ideal? Probably not. But I don't like wasting water on my lawn. I want to use as little is environmentally responsible, and not spend every dollar I earn on irrigation.

Play around with it. You'll stumble upon something that works the best for you. You aren't going to damage your lawns root depth by doing some experimenting with your irrigation schedule.

Thx for the reply...and that's sorta what I have resorted to, I cut back the 1" per week to about half and added a day...may need to add a 3d day during the hottest/dry weeks to come...spotty showers going on currently...don't water if I don't need to...And seeing how far that gets me, walking around the yard testing for moisture depth...screwdriver and moisture meter...but was concerned with the shallow root issue. And I my thought process its similar to yours...don't like wasting water...seem to be working just haven't nailed down my exact process for next yr during a heat wave...probably causing my "doveweed" problem now...LOL Thank all for the replies...Good Stuff!!!

McLovin
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Post by McLovin » July 25th, 2016, 8:06 pm

Wow, this is cool that everybody's here at once, can I get all my questions answered right here? - I serched for how to install a blowoff valve on my irrigation system cuz that would make me really cool but I can't find the instructions - help! What is the best mower, real, rotorchopper, or 0 turn? which one gets the best mow for the least gas and is fastest and cheapest? Where can I buy the stuff to make my own herbicides? What's the best fungicide, Heritage or Serenity? Can I get a PGR cheap? I can just use dollar store shampoo instead of pricey surfactant, right? How come you guys like seed when sod is so much faster? I want that Earthway Diesel Powered Spreader Sprayer, how much will it cost me to get one? Those elite seeds are too expensive, can somebody show me how to harvest some from my neighbor's yard? Can I hook up to the fire hydrant and get a high output irrigation system?

Michael Wise

Post by Michael Wise » July 25th, 2016, 8:24 pm

McLovins been drinking Sumagrow again.

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » July 25th, 2016, 8:38 pm

Michael Wise wrote:McLovins been drinking Sumagrow again.
LOL He may be suffering from heat stroke Wise, haven't you been paying attention to the weather?

TSGarp007

Post by TSGarp007 » July 26th, 2016, 2:21 pm

I think I'm going to do a rain dance. I need some rain tonight or I have to use my city water to irrigate my 12K sq ft lawn. And it will need water before I can move sprinkler heads so they don't waste water hitting my new fence.

seiyafan
Grass Type: Bewitched mono and TTTF/KBG mix

Post by seiyafan » July 26th, 2016, 4:55 pm

Looks like Andy has left us for real, oh man I wish I have never started this thread.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 26th, 2016, 6:25 pm

It's not the thread. It's the stress of being a mod and getting grief from members who don't see everything that's going on. People are devious and mods get tired of dealing with it particularly when there is no appreciation of that.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » July 26th, 2016, 6:47 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:It's not the thread. It's the stress of being a mod and getting grief from members who don't see everything that's going on. People are devious and mods get tired of dealing with it particularly when there is no appreciation of that.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Then again, maybe Andy is just merely attending to his lawn like the rest of us. I don't know how he finds the time to referee conflicts or misinformation and maintain an acre of property. To my knowledge/impression, he does all of his own lawn work, just like we do. The hassle of dealing with unappreciative, snide, devious people, wears the good natured moderators raw, I suppose.
To my knowledge, I've only been chided by the moderators, never put down.
Thanks fellows for policing such an active forum. :good: