New Tifgreen Bermuda lawn Winter Questions

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
spcates
Grass Type: Tifgreen Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

New Tifgreen Bermuda lawn Winter Questions

Post by spcates » November 14th, 2016, 1:01 pm

Hi All, I originally posted on April 7th "Cates New Tifgreen Bermuda Lawn" after I installed tifgreen bermuda that was over-seeded with rye. I fertilized with milorganite only in May-Sept, once a month, and I top dressed the seams over the summer, and the grass came in very well.

(Having trouble posting a picture - I hit image and it puts in ).

I had to repair two spot where my dogs dug holes. I used the same grass in these spots, but not over-seeded with rye. My questions are do I need to over-seed with rye for this winter, or will the rye in the original grass come back?

If the former, what rye do you suggest I use, when should I over-seed, and where can I purchase.

If the latter, what about the two repair areas that don't have rye? Will the other rye spread over these areas? Also, I have not put down milorganite since mid Sept. Should I fertilize again now and with what?

Thanks in advance.

Begotten
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda, St. Augustine
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: New Tifgreen Bermuda lawn Winter Questions

Post by Begotten » November 15th, 2016, 10:16 pm

Whether the Rye comes back this year depends on whether it was Perennial Rye or Annual Rye. As for the bare spots, neither one spreads on it's own the way Bermuda does.

If this is a residential lawn I would recommend not over seeding for winter, especially on fairly new sod. The Ryegrass will just be stealing water and nutrients from your expensive young Bermuda and create competition for space when Spring comes and the Bermuda is trying to come out of dormancy.