Have I found a good reel?

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Shuffinator

Have I found a good reel?

Post by Shuffinator » February 1st, 2017, 8:35 am

Looking on CL. What do y'all think about this?https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/grd/5969563816.html

iriasj2009
Grass Type: Celebration bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Have I found a good reel?

Post by iriasj2009 » February 1st, 2017, 10:29 am

Hello, if it's in good condition, I would say it's a good deal. From the pictures it looks to be in great condition. Check the bedknife and reel to make sure it doesn't have any major damage. Other than that, if he only used it for a year, the engine should be like new. It'd prob need a small tune up. Oil change, filter, spark plug, carb might need cleaning. I bought one for $650 brand new from sears (7 blade, the one on the add says 10 blade) few years ago. I also bought the after market roller (paid $150 for it). I've used my for 3 years and it still runs great. All I do is reel to bed knife adjustments and backlap it every now and then. My only big complaint is that adjusting the reel to bedknife can be a PITA, but once you do it a couple of times, you get the hang of it. Height adjustment is real easy. Only goes down to 7/16" and if I try to use the lowest setting (1/4"), the bedknife bottoms out. It's also real easy to maneuver. I recently bought a greensmower but will be keeping the mcclane as a back up. Let me know if you have any questions. Since he's selling it on Craigslist, I'd offer him less and see if he takes a lower offer. Good luck!

wardconnor
Grass Type: KBG, PRG

Post by wardconnor » February 1st, 2017, 1:08 pm

Keep looking and get a greens mower even if you have to spend a little more $. Toro, Jacobsen, John Deere. You will not regret that decision if you make it. I have both and there is no comparison in my mind. The rear roller makes all the difference in the world.

iriasj2009
Grass Type: Celebration bermuda

Post by iriasj2009 » February 1st, 2017, 5:23 pm

wardconnor wrote:
February 1st, 2017, 1:08 pm
Keep looking and get a greens mower even if you have to spend a little more $. Toro, Jacobsen, John Deere. You will not regret that decision if you make it. I have both and there is no comparison in my mind. The rear roller makes all the difference in the world.
Good tip wardconnor. Just have in mind that a greensmower will be heavier and depending on the model, will only mow up to 1/2". I paid $250 for my JD180b at an auction and it works great. Only downside right now is that it is a bit harder to maneuver vs my mcclane but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. Reel adjustment and backlapping is an easy task on these greensmowers.

MarkV
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda

Post by MarkV » February 5th, 2017, 5:51 pm

I picked up a probably late 70's early 80's 10 blade Mclane last fall in Edmond for $100. It has the original briggs and stratton on it but it fires up the first time every time. Mine has the casters too.

Like stated above adjusting the reel to bed knife could be better, but then again I'm sure that's why they are so much cheaper than greens mowers.

All that being said I don't know squat about reel mowers because this is my first one and I'm super excited to do my first scalp in a month. Try and talk him down or wait for another deal.