Need help to Lower PH

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Atc4usmc
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Need help to Lower PH

Post by Atc4usmc » February 15th, 2017, 2:01 pm

Hello all, quick question. I had soil test done last year (July) and will have new ones done in a few weeks before spring. I noticed I have high PH in my front yard (7.2 where it should be 5.8-6.5). I also have some areas that need it raised a bit, but I can add lime to raise the PH level. Not really sure how to lower it across the lawn.

I have bermuda grass and prob around 3.5-4k front yard.

Thanks for the help!

Grass Type: Quack, No Mix

Re: Need help to Lower PH

Post by 1977212 » February 15th, 2017, 3:11 pm

Post the soil test

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » February 15th, 2017, 3:13 pm

For the most part, directly lowering pH isn't workable. Sulfur is sometimes recommended, but it's generally ineffective and simply outgasses to the atmosphere as sulfur dioxide (smog).

That having been said, a longer-term and gentler method might serve. When feeding, use something where the nitrogen source is urea, which is gently acidifying under some circumstances. For even more effect, use ammonium sulfate instead (although that's much more expensive per unit of nitrogen).

Over time, it may bring your pH down--but even that depends on what the excess alkaline material is, and how much of it there is. Some soils are pretty much hopeless.

Fortunately, even if yours is, 7.2 is no barrier to a great lawn. It's not out of reasonable range, and won't cause too many issues. Iron availability would be the worst one I could think of offhand, and that can be solved by using Milorganite or chelated iron.

Atc4usmc

Post by Atc4usmc » February 15th, 2017, 9:10 pm

Thanks Morpheus, I read somewhere that milo may help too. I regularly use that so I may see how it does gradually. My lawn looked great last year and I expect it to this year, I am just trying to get it zeroed in to where its easy to maintain except cutting. I have some area's in the back that are low in PH but that is less of a concern as I can add lime and raise it some.

1977212 - Ill try to post the soil test in the forum soon, I dont have access to them right now.

Thanks!

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » February 16th, 2017, 4:30 pm

If you post a soil test to this forum and want advice, use Logan Labs and follow the guidelines in the forum. :)

Morpheus is dead on - not a lot you can do about lowering pH (especially in somewhat cooler environments), and it's not a huge deal anyways for most. Heck, I had a 7.8 - 7.9 pH on a previous lawn that looked pretty good - silty loam with lots of free Ca.

Atc4usmc

Post by Atc4usmc » February 16th, 2017, 6:07 pm

Thanks Hoosier, yeah my soil test was from my local COOP so I would need to send samples to logan. I may do that in a few weeks when I pull new samples.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » February 16th, 2017, 9:42 pm

I read somewhere that milo may help too.
Be very cautious about all lawn care advice that "I read somewhere" -- vast amounts of it are so wrong that you might be better doing exactly the opposite of what people say.

J_nick

Post by J_nick » February 16th, 2017, 11:26 pm

andy10917 wrote:
February 16th, 2017, 9:42 pm
I read somewhere that milo may help too.
Be very cautious about all lawn care advice that "I read somewhere" -- vast amounts of it are so wrong that you might be better doing exactly the opposite of what people say.
+1