Should I resoil/sand after I Aerate

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
aharrell4
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Should I resoil/sand after I Aerate

Post by aharrell4 » March 10th, 2017, 12:17 pm

I'm getting my lawn aerated in May and trying to figure out if I should resoil/sand afterwards. One company is trying to charge me $100 per 1,000 sqft to resoil with sand mixed in. I have a 5,000 sqft yard so that would be over $500. I'm also trying to figure out if I should just let them do it or go buy some soil and sand and mix it myself and then cover the yard. Any advice?

scottcgrable

Re: Should I resoil/sand after I Aerate

Post by scottcgrable » March 13th, 2017, 4:01 pm

What is your goal with the resoil/sand? Just to fill in the holes after aeration? Leveling? Will the cores be removed after aeration?

I also live in Apex and will possibly be using sand to help level my lawn this year. Can you tell me what company has given you that quote? LeapFrog Landcare (https://leapfroglandcare.com/) has put down compost for my neighbors the past few years at about the same cost. I was going to check with them at some point if they could do a sand mix for me. I would think the sand mix would be cheaper than just compost but the actual mixing might add labor.

aharrell4

Post by aharrell4 » March 15th, 2017, 11:21 am

My soil is just horrible and mostly clay with rocks under the grass. I was trying to improve the soil. Yes, I was planning on removing the cores after aeration and then resoil/sanding. The quote I got was from Eastern Turf Management and there soil already has sand mixed in. I have also been looking at LeapFrog but they won't contact me back. There is also another person in my neighborhood and we are looking at getting a truck of topsoil/sand and the more people that go in may be cheaper. We are still doing some research.

scottcgrable

Post by scottcgrable » March 17th, 2017, 10:13 am

Here is the info that I have for Leap Frog. It may be better than going through there website. I think Greg is the owner.

Greg Harris
Leap Frog Landcare, Inc.
919-427-3131
greg@leapfroglandcare.com

If you are working with bermuda I don't think there is any reason you need to mix soil in with the sand. Going in with a neighbor sounds like a good option. I think I will be ordering a load of sand from http://www.americansoilandmulch.com/ and spreading it myself this year. That is unless I can get Leap Frog to do it for just a little more than what I would have to pay to do it myself. I think they quoted their group neighborhood price @ $60 per aeration and around $100 per cubic yard of compost. Again, I would most likely see if they could do all sand, or atleast 75% sand mixed with compost.

I looked at the website @ Eastern Turf Management and it does not look like they are used to topdressing warm season grasses. So maybe you are getting a higher quote because they usually only do that service for athletic fields.

Steverino

Post by Steverino » March 19th, 2017, 10:28 pm

I would go with a slit seeder rental from Grand Rental Station close to you in Cary. I live in Holly Springs and have rented one​ from them before I bought a used rental myself. Get one with the ”delta blades". Using this aggressively will knock down high spots, unearth small stones, and start the process of leveling your yard. It will also dig up any weeds left from winter. Scalp as low as you dare with your mower first and remove that debris before going with the veritcutter/slit seeder. Get very aggressive and expect a serious workout. After that, get a pre-emergant down and wait for the grass to start growing when we get warmth. When the heat sets in, that will be the time for the sand in my opinion and it will take less because of the work you did with the delta blades. It may even be level enough for your needs without the sand for a while.

scottcgrable

Post by scottcgrable » March 22nd, 2017, 2:28 pm

Steverino wrote:
March 19th, 2017, 10:28 pm
I would go with a slit seeder rental from Grand Rental Station close to you in Cary. I live in Holly Springs and have rented one​ from them before I bought a used rental myself. Get one with the ”delta blades".
I've rented from them before and am happy with the service.

Are the "delta blades" fixed? Unlike the usual flail blades that you get on a dethatcher rental?

Steverino

Post by Steverino » March 22nd, 2017, 6:46 pm

Yes, they are rigid, they are a thick somewhat durable blade, much like the blade of an edger only there are a lot of them lined up and spaced about 3/8 inch apart.