Best Fill for Gaps in Bermuda Sod

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
kg70041
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Best Fill for Gaps in Bermuda Sod

Post by kg70041 » May 3rd, 2017, 9:01 am

Searched and found a few threads mentioning filling in the gaps between sod rolls, but couldn't find any recommendations of what to use.

Have builder-grade bermuda sod that was laid in December and has greened up nicely, but still have some gaps to fill due to some less than enthusiastic landscapers. Is there a particular fill (compost, good topsoil, etc.) that I can use to help close up some of the seams and help patch some small bare spots? We're not talking huge gaps, but enough to mess with my OCD.

Doing my best to get everything well established this year as we get into the summer heat. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

GaTiller
Grass Type: Bermuda Sod < 1yr
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Best Fill for Gaps in Bermuda Sod

Post by GaTiller » May 3rd, 2017, 11:04 am

I would imagine a balanced mixture of Topsoil(50%) Compost(25%) and Peat Moss(25%) would do the trick. That or I also know HD and the like sell "lawn soil" - some special concoction of soil with a little starter fert thrown in. That could probably work too. If you have sandy soil you might try adding some sand to the mix. I'm working with new sod laid last fall so I imagine we share some similar obstacles this spring. Best of luck!

scottcgrable
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by scottcgrable » May 3rd, 2017, 1:42 pm

Sand is the best to fill the cracks. Play sand or all purpose sand is best. Fill up the cracks and water it in, it will work great.

purepearl32
Grass Type: Yukon Bermuda

Post by purepearl32 » May 3rd, 2017, 7:54 pm

Stay away from the Scotts lawn soil, in my opinion. It is expensive and you will get a nice big bag of mostly sticks, rocks, and pieces of plastic. I've found through experience that most of the top soils you get at big box places contain a lot of weed seeds and creates more problems than solutions.

Multi-purpose sand and a little water should do just fine. A 60lb bag at your local hardware store should be about $3.00.

mrmeaner
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda

Post by mrmeaner » May 3rd, 2017, 8:22 pm

Compost will decompose eventually leaving the same gap you have now, top soil sucks for grass to grow through although it will eventually do it... Sand is where its at... spread it thick and drag with a drag mat. Grass grows easily through sand and it levels the whole yard if you use enough.

Search for leveling a lawn with sand... how old is the new installed sod?

kg70041
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by kg70041 » May 4th, 2017, 8:07 am

Sod was laid dormant in December of last year by the builders. So I'm still working to get everything established and well-rooted going into the summer.

I'll be giving the sand a shot. I don't have many issues with leveling, as our builder's PM did a good job of calling the landscapers back to roll the yard a few times. But this is good information to have.

williecoyote
Grass Type: bermuda

Post by williecoyote » May 10th, 2017, 6:01 am

Course masonry sand is good, and cheap for what you want to do.
It is the sand that is used to mix mortar when they are laying cinder block, or brick.

You can use it to fill in the gaps between pieces of sod, and also use it to fill in low spots.
If you have a bare spot on your lawn, sling it across the bare area with a shovel, and it will help the grass to grow across that area.