What's wrong with my zoysia? - Pics

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
zoysia
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

What's wrong with my zoysia? - Pics

Post by zoysia » May 3rd, 2017, 2:55 pm

I get a lot of standing water from rain in these areas, but do you think there is also a fungus involved? Appreciate any advice!

Main_sail22
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia

Re: What's wrong with my zoysia? - Pics

Post by Main_sail22 » May 3rd, 2017, 6:28 pm

I have the same problem in spots with my zoysia as well. I am far from an expert in the zoysia field but I have attributed that same thing in your pics to excessive thatch build up. When it rains a lot or you have standing water, it will mat up all the clippings then dry out in large "flake" chunks. I have yet to verticut or thatch my lawn but would imagine that it would take care of this problem. I usually just poke holes in it with a rake, gently rough it up with my hands or remove it all together. If I remove it, I'll replace it with a light coat of soil/ sand mix...30/70 mix and the surrounding grass will take it over. Hope this helps

zoysia
Grass Type: Zoysia

Post by zoysia » May 3rd, 2017, 8:38 pm

Thank you!

hambone79
Grass Type: Palisades Zoysia

Post by hambone79 » May 11th, 2017, 9:45 pm

If you could give a lil more history of what's been done to the lawn before this happened, it may help us identify the problem. Thatch, although a problem in some zoysia is usually never directly related to areas just dying off. Thatch will usually effect the quality of the lawn and allow other pests and diseases to thrive, but usually doesn't just flat out kill an area as a direct result. From the limited information available, I would more less attribute your problems to the standing water alone. Hardly any grasses tolerate standing water, but zoysia can be susceptible to standing water through extra wet periods common during winter. My suggestion would be to install drainage or regrade the lawn to eliminate the possibility of standing water before doing anything else.