Coastal Georgia Centipede Lawn

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
rundrummerrun
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Coastal Georgia Centipede Lawn

Post by rundrummerrun » May 11th, 2017, 8:59 am

Hello all - I'm new here and look forward to learning more and more about proper lawn care on this site.

My wife and I had a house built and had centipede sod (typical lawn type for the neighborhood) put down. This was probably around the first of February when the sod was installed. We didn't move in until around mid to late March.

The grass seems to be doing well. The lawn measures ~7000 sq ft. total front and back.

No pre-emergent was put down and I've only put an application of Milorganite this past weekend. I've read to take it easy on centipede and not to overdo it. It seemed like it needed a little something to help green it up a little more, so I used Milorganite and not anything nitrogen heavy.

We have had some hot afternoons lately (today will be 97) and not too much rain. I've noticed the grass in some spots is starting to get a heat stress look to it. Would you recommend that I increase the water times when I do irrigate, or should I add extra days to the schedule during these times of high heat and little rain?

I don't want to over-water and hurt the lawn, but I don't want a heat stressed lawn either. Any advice would be great. Also, can pre-emergent be put down throughout the summer, or is it just something to be put down very early in the spring? Being on the coast, we have some days that are in the 80's in February - but can get down to the 40's the next day. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Thank you!

killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA

Re: Coastal Georgia Centipede Lawn

Post by killerv » May 12th, 2017, 8:01 am

Rent a core aerator, no telling how compacted that soil after building a house.

If you lawn is looking just fine, other than the heat issue...I wouldn't worry about a preemergent now. Also, putting some down on new sod could affect the root growth. I stay away from it this first year. Only takes about 5 straight days of the right soil temp for the bad stuff to start germinating. You want to put down your preemergent when soil temps start bumping 55degrees in the late winter/early spring...probably late Feb where you are at...and again in the fall when they fall below 70degrees. Georgiaweather.net has weather stations more than likely near you to help determine the best time.

rundrummerrun

Post by rundrummerrun » May 12th, 2017, 9:19 am

killerv wrote:
May 12th, 2017, 8:01 am
Rent a core aerator, no telling how compacted that soil after building a house.

If you lawn is looking just fine, other than the heat issue...I wouldn't worry about a preemergent now. Also, putting some down on new sod could affect the root growth. I stay away from it this first year. Only takes about 5 straight days of the right soil temp for the bad stuff to start germinating. You want to put down your preemergent when soil temps start bumping 55degrees in the late winter/early spring...probably late Feb where you are at...and again in the fall when they fall below 70degrees. Georgiaweather.net has weather stations more than likely near you to help determine the best time.
Thank you killerv! The landscape crew brought in fresh soil before laying the sod - hopefully it's not too compacted. It seems to be greening up well, but when you look straight down on the grass, or in certain light conditions, there is still a lot of brown that hasn't greened up - almost like it needs to thicken up a bit. I don't want to do any harm on the new grass with too much nitrogen, etc. which is why I've only applied Milorganite so far. My soil tests revealed that it needed more N and K - which Milorganite has none of and maybe that's my problem.

From different angles (not looking down on it) the yard is looking very apple green. I gave the grass some more water this week to help with the heat stress. We should be getting some rain tomorrow - hopefully - we need it for the huge forest fires around here in south Georgia. Here are a few shot of it from an angle, not looking straight down:

killerv

Post by killerv » May 12th, 2017, 9:43 am

You can buy centipede specific fertilizer 15-0-15, lowes/hd stores may or may not carry it, I have to get it from an Ace hardware or a local nursery. You shouldn't have any brown areas at this point, our centipede lawns up here have fully greened. Your goal should be to just get that new sod through this summer, next year you should be good to go. I'd imagine the salt down there can be rough on centipede.

rundrummerrun

Post by rundrummerrun » May 12th, 2017, 10:01 am

killerv wrote:
May 12th, 2017, 9:43 am
You can buy centipede specific fertilizer 15-0-15, lowes/hd stores may or may not carry it, I have to get it from an Ace hardware or a local nursery. You shouldn't have any brown areas at this point, our centipede lawns up here have fully greened. Your goal should be to just get that new sod through this summer, next year you should be good to go. I'd imagine the salt down there can be rough on centipede.
Would applying 15-0-15 on the new lawn do much harm? I keep hearing and reading to hardly do anything to the yard the first year. If 15-0-15 wouldn't harm the new lawn, how often would it need to be applied?

killerv

Post by killerv » May 12th, 2017, 3:20 pm

should be fine as long as you follow the proper spreader settings. one app after it greens up is plenty, if you don't have a thatch issue can hit it again mid summer....but one is plenty. I'd probably just apply some milo mid summer to green it up a tad if it bothers you.

Begotten
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda, St. Augustine

Post by Begotten » May 17th, 2017, 3:44 pm

I wouldn't worry about over-watering the lawn. It's pretty unlikely unless the irrigation is running 24/7. Ideally you want 1" of water per week in a single long watering, rather than multiple short waterings now that the sod is established.

You will have to do some testing and adjusting to figure out how long it takes to put down that much water in each zone. You can put down a rain gauge or small tuna/cat food cans to see how long it takes to fill them up.