Kill all the crabgrass??

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Cptcameron
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Kill all the crabgrass??

Post by Cptcameron » June 9th, 2017, 8:28 pm

I am currently in a war!! I have won some battles, but the war rages on. Ok, I messed up and did not apply pre-emergent down in the.. well never. I have Bermuda grass and it was looking really good until the onslaught of crabgrass everywhere. I have followed your directions. I applied calcitic lime 2 weeks ago and just applied fertilizer. Question... should I keep applying Celsius to kill the crab grass, or should I wait until next season when I can catch the crab grass early. The Celsius is doing a great job killing the crab grass, but it is leaving brown areas where the crab grass is dying. I have an infestation of early crab grass sprouts everywhere.. any advice would be greatly appreciated.. thanks Again..

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Kill all the crabgrass??

Post by andy10917 » June 9th, 2017, 9:07 pm

OK, Cap - you worked on the "less is more" stuff. Now we need work on "Tomorrow is not long-term planning".

You've been here for a month, and your soil test is two weeks since you got an interpretation. Ummm, it ain't going fast enough?
I am currently in a war!!
Five years is a war. You have a skirmish on your hands, and you're winning.
The Celsius is doing a great job killing the crab grass, but it is leaving brown areas where the crab grass is dying.
Not sure what you were expecting. Tulips to replace the crabgrass?

How about you slow down and let us know what you want to do, and get to specific questions.

Cptcameron
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Cptcameron » June 9th, 2017, 9:48 pm

Ok... ok... slowing it down... thanks. I will continue the skirmish, with the Celsius...

Begotten
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda, St. Augustine

Post by Begotten » June 10th, 2017, 1:01 am

Put down pre-em and keep killing the crabgrass. You don't need to wait till next year to do that.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 10th, 2017, 7:43 am

Cptcameron wrote:
June 9th, 2017, 8:28 pm
I have Bermuda grass and it was looking really good until the onslaught of crabgrass everywhere. ... The Celsius is doing a great job killing the crab grass, but it is leaving brown areas where the crab grass is dying.
That is exactly what you want! With your following of the Bermuda Guide and the heat of summer approaching, you are at the best time of year for the bermuda to spread and fill in those bare spots. With proper mowing, watering, and fertilization, the bermuda will spread and in a couple months you'll be wondering where the crab grass had been!

You also want to keep at it with killing the crab grass so that this year's crab grass doesn't get mature enough to produce more seed and make your task more difficult again next year...