Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Eddyline
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Common Bermuda Invasion

Post by Eddyline » July 19th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Greetings!

My once-beautiful Bermuda 419 lawn has been invaded by several unsightly patches of common Bermuda. I have kept the lawn mowed low (9/16" with a reel mower) in hopes that the hybrid would out-compete the common, but, If anything, the common Bermuda footprint seems to be expanding.

So far, the local "experts" are telling me the only solution is to carpet-bomb the common with Glyophosate, remove it with a sod cutter, and re-sod with new hybrid.

Has anyone had this problem, and if so, is there a less-drastic action available to deal with it? Many thanks in advance for any advice; I am a very long-time lurker on this board, but this is the first time I have been truly stumped...

Thanks again.

PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Re: Common Bermuda Invasion

Post by PW405 » July 31st, 2017, 10:44 pm

Eddyline wrote:
July 19th, 2017, 4:39 pm
Greetings!

My once-beautiful Bermuda 419 lawn has been invaded by several unsightly patches of common Bermuda. I have kept the lawn mowed low (9/16" with a reel mower) in hopes that the hybrid would out-compete the common, but, If anything, the common Bermuda footprint seems to be expanding.

So far, the local "experts" are telling me the only solution is to carpet-bomb the common with Glyophosate, remove it with a sod cutter, and re-sod with new hybrid.

Has anyone had this problem, and if so, is there a less-drastic action available to deal with it? Many thanks in advance for any advice; I am a very long-time lurker on this board, but this is the first time I have been truly stumped...

Thanks again.
That is quite the dilemma... Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there are many solutions outside of manual removal or nuking it... May wait for others to chime in, but I'm just not aware of many other options. Do you have any pictures?

appalachianturf
Grass Type: kentucky bluegrass

Post by appalachianturf » August 1st, 2017, 12:32 am

I'm gonna just throw this out there. Yes I know it's not labeled for use on hybrid Bermudas but I can tell you common is extremely sensitive to it. Yes I have done this and yes it does work. Just as on the other cool season forum the herbicide Tenacity is a very valuable tool. It also is uncommonly valuable to warm season growers as well. Apply it not as a blanket but spot treat the common Bermuda with it. Use MSO as well. It may take 3 applications for several years. The hybrids can process it where as the common cannot. Also I realize it's hard but avoid fertilizer on any sections of common as well. Before you know it you'll be back uniform.

Eddyline
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by Eddyline » August 7th, 2017, 8:12 pm

Thanks so very much for the responses. Appalachianturf, I will happily give the Tenacity a shot. Should it be applied at the labelled rate?

Also, as requested by PW405, I have attached a photo of the invasion.

Thanks again for your help!