Bermuda Grass Dumpster Fire

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Esco23x
Grass Type: Trying to figure that out
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Bermuda Grass Dumpster Fire

Post by Esco23x » July 20th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Not sure what to do here. A few years back, this lawn was in pretty good shape. Now, I'm facing a reality that is 50% Bermuda, 40% whatever this 2-3 blade grass weed is, and 10% St. Augustine. The lawn was meant to be Bermuda. I've tried without any luck to rid it of these other grasses. I've been told to mow it low, so I mow it on the second lowest deck setting (first lowest scalps the lawn). St. Augustine is as happy as ever. Now, this grass-type weed has absolutely overtaken my lawn. Completely. Within two days after mowing these things pop up an inch over my Bermuda.

Where am I failing here? I don't think weed killers will work because it seems like this nuisance is some sort of a grass. Do I need to cut this lawn more than once every 6-7 days? Should I cut it every other day or every third day?

For reference, I'm in Houston. Lawn is watered no less than 3 times a week.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Bermuda Grass Dumpster Fire

Post by Green » July 20th, 2017, 10:42 pm

Not a warm-season expert, but...
Have you verified that the unknown grassy weed in question is a grass, and not a sedge?

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » July 21st, 2017, 12:15 am

It's a sedge, which I believe is easy to control in bermuda. Wait for a warm-season expert to chime in or, better yet, start searching the warm-season forum (maybe even reno) for hits on sedge (or nutsedge) and bermuda. Maybe add control or herbicide to the keywords.

Deal with the sedge first, now, while it's young, and later deal with the St. Augustine.

marshalltj
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by marshalltj » July 21st, 2017, 9:59 am

Not sure about st Augustine, but Image or sedge hammer will knock out the tall three blade grass you see. Sedge hammer can be ordered online. Image is available at you local home center store. If you buy Image stick with the regular variety, not the one lists crabgrass on the front of the bottle.

Esco23x

Post by Esco23x » July 21st, 2017, 6:00 pm

Thank you all so much for the replies. I'd be 95% happy with my back lawn if I were able to get rid of the sedge. As you guys mentioned I could easily deal with the St. Augustine at a later date as it's very localized. The sedge is a complete widespread nightmare.

okstatejoe
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by okstatejoe » July 23rd, 2017, 10:40 am

I've been fighting the same thing and highly recommend Sedgehammer as well. Be patient though as it does take some time to see results after the application. You should start noticing some yellowing after a couple of weeks. They do have single application packets that I think treat 1,000 sq ft if you're just wanting to try it out first before buying a full bottle. I found a local garden store that actually sells the single dose packets. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by PW405 » July 29th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Ya, Sedgehammer should do the trick. See my Amazon review for pictures on progress. Likely won't notice anything for the first week. Second week... may get a little yellow. By the third week, it should no longer spring back faster than the bermuda does after a cut. That was my experience with it anyways. I'm actually pretty shocked at how pervasive it has become in your lawn.

My experience with sedge is that it seemed to do well in poor draining areas that were heavily clay.

PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by PW405 » July 29th, 2017, 5:54 pm

Also... forgot to mention. You'll likely have to do more than one application given how dense it has become. Make sure to double check the label to see how far apart they suggest application times. I would think you'd want to wait 3-4 weeks between apps for sure. Good news is, once the sedge isn't out-growing the bermuda, the bermuda's leaves will get much more light to photosynthesize, which should help it grow and spread much more than it is now.

Esco23x

Post by Esco23x » August 19th, 2017, 11:05 pm

Just wanted to give a quick update- you guys are brilliant, it was indeed sedge. I went to HD and bought some Image, mixed it in my hose-end sprayer and applied it on the lawn. Cut the lawn 4 days later and could not believe that the sedge completely stopped growing. My lawn looked like a lawn again. I applied it about 4 weeks ago and for the most part, the sedge has not returned. It returned in only a few areas, but it grows no where near as aggressively as it did before. I'll apply another round of Image after 6 weeks passes from the initial application to hopefully knock it all out for good.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help of this community.