Pole Saw Exhaust Burned Grass

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
craving77494
Grass Type: Bermuda, Tifway 419
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Pole Saw Exhaust Burned Grass

Post by craving77494 » July 22nd, 2017, 9:08 pm

First off, many thanks to the forum members, my tif 419 is really starting to look good thanks to what I have learned here.

I decided to call a local tree trimming company to thin out the two small oak trees in my front lawn. After they left, the next day I noticed 7-8 brown spots developing between the two trees. I decided to review our surveillance and low and behold, the guy running the pole saw (gas powered) is setting the saw motor on the grass while saw is pointed upward. I started to realize that the saw is constantly running and the exhaust fumes coupled with the heat is what killed the grass in 6”x 8” spots. Does this sound reasonable?

Now the big question is what can I do to green up the spots that are damaged?

Appreciate any advise.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Pole Saw Exhaust Burned Grass

Post by andy10917 » July 22nd, 2017, 9:38 pm

Completely expected behavior. If the period was short, the singed spots may recover quickly - otherwise the Bermuda will take a bit to close up the killed spot.

craving77494
Grass Type: Bermuda, Tifway 419

Post by craving77494 » July 23rd, 2017, 2:54 pm

Thanks for the info.

imauafan
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by imauafan » July 23rd, 2017, 6:19 pm

I sorta did the same thing a few days ago. I noticed a dead spot appear close to the gate that I go through to get to the front yard from the back yard. I thought it might be a fungus or some type of insect that caused the damage but the next time I mowed I realized that without thinking about I had left the riding mower running while I unlocked and opened the gate. Also during that time I put my dog in the garage so I could leave the gate open while mowing the front yard. The mower was running the entire time and the hot exhaust is what killed the grass. Lesson learned, turn the mower off instead of leaving it running in one spot.