Bermuda Reset Procedure

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
mikey30
Grass Type: Bermuda (Tifway 419 front)/TTTF and Elite KBG in back (Mullet Lawn)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Bermuda Reset Procedure

Post by mikey30 » July 24th, 2017, 8:28 am

I started the season off maintaining my Tifway @ 1.25". The usual stemmy appearance and browning began to creep up, so about a month ago I raised cutting height to 2". It looks decent now, but I will be going out of town for a week and a half in a few weeks. I was brainstorming my plan and have a few questions:

1. What height should I cut to before I leave? The Honda HRX can do 2, 1.25 or 0.75"(which is pretty much a scalp). I am thinking I would like to get back to maintaining around 1.25" and go up to 2" in October.

2. Should I fertilize before I scalp, after scalp, or when I return from vacation? What tupe of fertilizer? Milo or synthetic?

3. Bag or mulch when dropping the cutting height?

Thanks!

ars2210
Grass Type: Bermuda

Re: Bermuda Reset Procedure

Post by ars2210 » July 24th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Don't cut it before you leave, but instead when you get back. Cut it as low as you want at that point. That way if you cut it low and you have a heat wave, at least you'll be there to water it. Don't fertilize it before you leave either, as it will only make it grow more while you're away.

If it were me I'd scalp it down when I got back, then wait a week or two before putting down fertilizer. That is if it is time for your normal fertilizer. If it is not your scheduled time for fert (or a soil test doesn't demand it) don't put it down. The Bermuda will recover fine on it's own with normal watering. Fair warning: it will look like crap for at least two weeks after you scalp it, until it has a chance to grow back up. Once it has greened up a little again, at that point raise your mower one notch and continue cutting as normal (if you cut at the same level you scalped to, you'll just re-scalp it every time you cut).

Also, I'd bag it as it'll be a lot of extra grass sitting on top that won't be cut up small enough to fall down and be reused. Continue mulching, if that's your normal practice, on your next cut.

Obviously, all just opinions based on my experience.

mikey30
Grass Type: Bermuda (Tifway 419 front)/TTTF and Elite KBG in back (Mullet Lawn)

Post by mikey30 » July 26th, 2017, 10:01 am

Thanks Ars!

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have a smart sprinkler controller so I can water while I am gone. That was why I was thinking scalp before leaving so I don't have to see the ugly.

My initial thought was to scalp (bag) and fertilize before I leave @ 0.75". Then it will probably be ready to mow at 1.25" when I return.

ars2210

Post by ars2210 » July 26th, 2017, 4:29 pm

That'll probably work out fine for you then. Good luck!

scottcgrable

Post by scottcgrable » July 27th, 2017, 10:30 am

mikey30 wrote:
July 26th, 2017, 10:01 am
Thanks Ars!
My initial thought was to scalp (bag) and fertilize before I leave @ 0.75". Then it will probably be ready to mow at 1.25" when I return.
Yes, do exactly this. Set your irrigation to give it a couple deep waterings (1") while you are away. That way it can recover while you are gone.

I scalped 1.5 weeks ago down to the 2nd notch on my TruCut. It is coming back nicely.