Sedge Ender Application in Texas Heat

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
craving77494
Grass Type: Bermuda, Tifway 419
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Sedge Ender Application in Texas Heat

Post by craving77494 » July 24th, 2017, 9:23 am

I have eradicated most of weeds from my lawn but an now faced with a sedge problem. I have purchased Sedge Ender, but am concerned about the application in this Texas heat. We are having lows of 80 degrees (5AM) and highs pushing 97 degrees.

Do I have any options to apply in this heat without damaging my Tif 419?

I will start a Pre-M schedule starting in September which should help next year, but I would like get rid those fast growing buggers now.

Also any opinions on Sedge Ender vs. Sedgehammer would be interesting.

Thanks as always for any advice.

craving77494

Re: Sedge Ender Application in Texas Heat

Post by craving77494 » July 26th, 2017, 7:50 am

I wanted to share the response I received from Bonide (makers of Sedge Ender), as it may help other users with the same question:

"Apply in the early morning when temperatures are cooler. If you have not had rain and the lawn is dry please do water the lawn well a few hours prior to application."

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 26th, 2017, 11:01 am

Thanks for sharing what you learned from Bonide.

I have no experience with lawns in the Texas Heat, or bermuda grass under any circumstances, but do have a recent Bonide Sedge Ender experience...

I overapplied Sedge Ender a little over a week ago due to my mistake in reading the label and ended up applying at 2x the labeled rate on my northern mix (KBG, FF, PRG) front lawn (5.5oz per gallon instead of 2.75oz per gallon). At least it was only a spot-spray on areas where I had some sedge. (The only products which I blanket spray are pre-emergent and Serenade.)

The overapplication turned all the grass brown within 24 hours in the areas I sprayed. We then had three consecutive hot days for NH (in the lower 90s) with no rain. After that, It really looked to me like the grass was dead in those spots. However, after the heat, we then had two cool days (highs in the upper 60s and overnight lows around 50) which commenced with 0.7 inches of rain. It now seems as though the grass is recovering (maybe 50% of the way back to looking green again), and the sedge appears to be gone.

craving77494

Post by craving77494 » July 26th, 2017, 11:53 am

Thanks for sharing your experience Ken. I am still a bit nervous to apply in the early morning heat (80 @ 5AM). I am just now getting my grass to the rich green color I am looking for and would be heart broken if it turns yellow. Good thing it is only in the back yard.

RockinMyLawn
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by RockinMyLawn » July 26th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Generally speaking how should one interpret all these weed killers instructions when they say optimal application temps° @ <=75° (Like Sedge Ender) :
1) Apply on a day when temps is <= 85° at time of application?
or
2) App when temps are consistently over a time period (say a week or two) <=85°?

iriasj2009
Grass Type: Celebration bermuda

Post by iriasj2009 » July 28th, 2017, 6:44 pm

I don't have any experience with it but I have had great luck with certainty. I apply at full rate once the sun goes down. Then water it in the morning. Don't mow for 2 days. Takes 2 application 6-8 weeks apart. After the first application, the sedge completely stops growing tho. Whatever reappears, I treat again weeks later. Just wanted to share. Oh and I did notice lilttel bit of discoloration but nothing very noticeable and it bounced back within a week.

Spammage
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda

Post by Spammage » July 29th, 2017, 4:38 pm

iriasj2009 wrote:
July 28th, 2017, 6:44 pm
I don't have any experience with it but I have had great luck with certainty. I apply at full rate once the sun goes down. Then water it in the morning. Don't mow for 2 days. Takes 2 application 6-8 weeks apart. After the first application, the sedge completely stops growing tho. Whatever reappears, I treat again weeks later. Just wanted to share. Oh and I did notice lilttel bit of discoloration but nothing very noticeable and it bounced back within a week.
+1. Certainty is safe in high temps and does a great job on sedges. I don't have any experience with Sedge Ender.

craving77494

Post by craving77494 » July 31st, 2017, 8:34 pm

I wanted to give an update.

I applied the Sedge Ender at 1/2 rate of 2.75 oz. per gallon. It was early morning 5am and the temp was 79* with 70% humidity. I have approximately 2500 in the back where I spot sprayed an estimated 1000 Sqft. Within 8 hours I could see the Sedge turning white and wilting. By this time it is 97*. Today it is very brown and after the 2 day waiting period, so I mowed (1-1/4”) my normal height. I did not see any I’ll effects on my bermuda, but now realize I have more “bad” grass than I thought. I will wait the 2 weeks before reapplying, but this time will do a blanket spray at the same 1/2 dosage of 2.75 oz.

More details to follow.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 31st, 2017, 9:29 pm

craving77494 wrote:
July 31st, 2017, 8:34 pm
I wanted to give an update.

I applied the Sedge Ender at 1/2 rate of 2.75 oz. per gallon. ... Within 8 hours I could see the Sedge turning white and wilting. ... I did not see any I’ll effects on my bermuda ...
Thanks for posting the update. Glad to hear it's working well for you!