Warm grass options in transition zone

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Monkburger
Grass Type: Midnight KBG (Front) / Award KBG (Sides)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Warm grass options in transition zone

Post by Monkburger » August 13th, 2017, 3:16 am

maynardGkeynes wrote:
August 12th, 2017, 1:03 pm
I'm in the same boat (and geographic) area as kevreh, and have been considering Yukon, which is a top rated seeded bermuda. Supposed to be as dark as all but the best sod types, and is very cold tolerant. How long it will stay green is the question. Will a light frost be enough to turn it brown? If not, I could probably be green through mid December a lot of times. So, will a light frost turn it brown?
They will all go dormant within a few cold snaps. Latitude 36, for example:

October 18th - Before first Frost: http://laverysodfarm.com/images/cc2c6dc ... 8a9bc4.jpg

October 29th - After first frost:
http://laverysodfarm.com/images/2e5005b ... 9c2309.jpg

Cold tolerance usually means winter-kill protection - I have Yukon in growing pots and it goes Dormant here about October 15th or so (on average) and wakes up in late april when the air temperature is in the low 70s for highs and mid 50s for lows.

Latitude 36, Northbridge, Yukon are really good cultivars for us folks in the upper Transition zone. I don't know too much about how TifWay/TifSport behaves.

So you have to ask yourself - Do you want a green lawn in the summer months, say, from late April/May to October, and dormant the rest? Or would you like a green lawn until the 80 degree temps hit, then your lawn goes dormant for a few months?

maynardGkeynes
Grass Type: PRG & KBG (front); TTTF & HKBG (rear)
Lawn Size: < 1000
Level: Some Experience

Post by maynardGkeynes » August 13th, 2017, 8:36 am

Thank you, Monkburger very helpful! One more Q: How would you describe the color of Yukon, Lat 36, and Nbridge etc compared to cool season lawns in your area?

Abyss
Grass Type: Midnight II and Northstar out back

Post by Abyss » August 27th, 2017, 11:15 am

If you're close to fairfax, you're probably within an hour of Maryland soccerplex in boyds, and about the same to Virginia soccer training center. If you're serious about it, it's not that far. I'm sure there's somewhere closer, but nothing I can find on the internet that say what type of grass they use.

Then again, I travel 2.5-3 hours one way for my daughter to play a soccer game and then turn around and head home, so an hour drive is around the corner for me!

maynardGkeynes
Grass Type: PRG & KBG (front); TTTF & HKBG (rear)
Level: Some Experience

Post by maynardGkeynes » August 27th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Abyss wrote:
August 27th, 2017, 11:15 am
If you're close to fairfax, you're probably within an hour of Maryland soccerplex in boyds, and about the same to Virginia soccer training center. If you're serious about it, it's not that far. I'm sure there's somewhere closer, but nothing I can find on the internet that say what type of grass they use.

Great idea/ I'm in DC, and Boyd's is only 50 minutes. I can also get to Va pretty fast non-rush hour. Do you know what town the Virginia field is in? Is it part of George Mason?

PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by PW405 » October 2nd, 2017, 10:59 pm

kevreh wrote:
August 6th, 2017, 9:11 am
Never had a warm season grass, what kind of upkeep are you talking about? Thx and thanks for the bentgrass tip.
Mainly, mowing. My experience is limited to common bermuda... but in the pinnacle of growth season, mowing is NOT fun (and I like mowing). I've compared mowing fescue and/or rye to "shaving". You push the mower where there happens to be grass. With a thick bermuda lawn, you fight the mower through the grass. You'll probably think you need a more powerful mower, a bigger bag, or a sharper blade. Likely all 3. In my climate, this is what Mid-June - Mid September is like. Edging weekly required.

I'm not sure how invasive other warm season grasses are, but keep in mind that you'll likely never get it out of your lawn. Ever. Case study: uncle is a Fescue fan (also lives in OKC). When his lot was built ~5 years ago, it was on a fairly hilly road (yes, there are a few hills here), so the first 1'-3' of soil were removed to level the lot. He had some decent dirt brought in, then sodded with fescue. No bermuda present. The first 18 months were pretty good. Now, ending the 5th summer, he's just concluded that he no longer has a fescue lawn. Now he just considers fall a time to overseed the bermuda lawn with fescue for the winter. The bermuda likely creeped in from a neighbor's lawn, but there isn't really much you can do about it.

Now, that isn't to say bermuda is all bad. It is near bullet-proof compared to growing a cool season turf in the transition zone. Like you have observed, you won't find a more dense turf in the summer (and maybe first part of fall, depending on where you live). You can always overseed it with an annual rye if you wish to have color for most of the year.

I always joke that bermuda will grow on cement. "Oh, PW405 - No grass grows on cement"!

Well... See exhibit A:

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » October 3rd, 2017, 7:26 am

That second photo reminds me of the movie The Blob!

KB in MD (21740)
Grass Type: Meyer Zoysia
Level: Novice

Post by KB in MD (21740) » August 16th, 2018, 12:26 pm