San Diego, CA - Just had Platinum TE Paspalum installed

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
sandiego62
Grass Type: PASPALUM
Lawn Size: < 1000
Level: Novice

San Diego, CA - Just had Platinum TE Paspalum installed

Post by sandiego62 » August 5th, 2017, 5:13 pm

I'm a relatively new homeowner. When we bought our home in San Diego a couple years ago, my grass died almost immediately. It was summer, we didn't have sprinklers, we had just started a family and we were in a drought so watering frequently was discouraged not to mention I had to prioritize my time to our new baby. I know..excuses :)

After a lot of research and almost going with St. Augustine we ended up going with Platinum TE Paspalum. Seeing it in person at West Coast Turf (they had all their sod installed right next to eachother) was the deciding factor on top of the other benefits I had read about Paspalum over the last several months.

I did not install it. Our landscaper installed it and it was his first time working with Paspalum. He was excited too. I only got rid of the old sod and did some rototilling. Once again, couldn't make time to go beyond that with our 2nd baby. Well we now have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and we have sprinklers installed with a timer. We also had gopher wire installed because that too became in issue. Last time I played nice with the little critters since my lawn was for the most part dead, but this time it may be war if the gopher wire fails to keep them away.

I'm looking forward to taking care of our new lawn and am sure I will rely on the experts on this board for ongoing advice since I'm such a newbie to all this. My next step is buying a mower. I think I have a couple of weeks before I should mow it since it was just installed today. Since it's a small lawn I'm looking into Scotts 2000 20" Reel Mower. I read this review http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-reel-mower/ and since my lawn is small (500 SF) I feel it will work.

I'm open to suggestions. Thanks everyone!

smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: San Diego, CA - Just had Platinum TE Paspalum installed

Post by smast16 » August 5th, 2017, 9:24 pm

Send us some close ups of the blades after the did gets established. I grew up in Florida, and if I was still there I'd probably have gone with seashore Paspulum as well. Remember, water water water for now. Dont let those did pieces go dry.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » August 5th, 2017, 11:52 pm

I'm a big proponent of alternative turf grasses, so I'm interested in seashore paspalum. But I don't know much about it. I'll be following your progress reports.

sandiego62

Post by sandiego62 » August 13th, 2017, 1:10 pm

#mushrooms - It's been 8 days since the sod was installed. Initially we had the timer watering 4x day for 8 minutues. We have reduced it to 3x day as of day 6. I noticed mushrooms sprouting as of this morning. Wondering how I should address the issue before it gets worst.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » August 13th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Mushrooms are a fleeting thing, mostly when periods of water and warmth line up just right. With no treatment, they'll be gone in a week. With the best treatments, it'll take only 7 days.

Begotten
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda, St. Augustine

Post by Begotten » August 14th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » August 18th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, for noting that you live in the Clairemont part of SD. It makes a big difference for the Calif coastal areas. If I'm not mistaken you live in an area that gets frequent morning fog and afternoon sea breeze. This will make a difference in your ultimate watering plan.

You might need to live with the mushrooms until the sod is knit down to the underlying soil. Try lifting a few corners to see how it's doing. If you cannot lift the sod, then immediately cut back on watering frequency. The idea with watering on mature turf is to do it deeply and infrequently. Deeply is always the same. The frequency depends on the temperature for the most part and sometimes on the soil. If you have pure sand, then it makes a difference to the frequency, but for you, you should be on solid ground. Here is my paragraph on watering.

Watering: Deep and infrequent is the mantra for watering. This is for all turf grass all over the place. Deep means 1 inch all at one time. Put some cat food or tuna cans around the yard, and time how long it takes your sprinkler(s) to fill all the cans. Memorize that time. That will be the time you water from now on. My hose, sprinkler and water pressure takes 8 full hours to fill the cans. Your time will likely be less. I like gentle watering. As for watering frequency, that depends on the daytime air temperature. With temps in the 90s, deep water once per week. With temps in the 80s, deep water once every 2 weeks. With temps in the 70s, deep water once every 3 weeks. With temps below 70, deep water once a month. Note that you have to keep up with quickly changing temps in the spring and fall. This deep and infrequent schedule works in Phoenix and in Vermont, so it should work for you. The reason for deep and infrequent is to grow deeper, more drought resistant roots and to allow the soil to dry completely at the surface for several days before watering again. If it rains, reset your calendar to account for the rainfall.

That is the goal. You need to transition from what you do with new sod, and, as the roots grow deeper, back off on the frequency and move up on the depth. If you had mature sod and daily temps in the 80s, then you would water deeply once every 2 weeks. That can be adjusted up or down depending on how the grass performs, but daily watering is never what you want to do. The fog and see breeze will keep evaporation to a minimum which should allow you to really stretch out the frequency. I realize that 99% of everyone in SoCal waters daily, but that's one reason y'all are in the position you are. When my mother was in Temecula I tried to get her off of daily watering, but my niece came in after I left and changed it back to daily.

sandiego62

Post by sandiego62 » August 27th, 2017, 2:13 am

Wow! Great tips Dchall_San_Antonio. Thank you! Yes, I'm in 92117 zip codw about 5 miles east of the ocean (Pacific Beach and La Jolla).

Landscaper did his complimentay first lawn now that our sod is established. I hope the mushrooms dont come back but I did notice several slugs last night. Not sure if they will be an issue or not.

Here is a picture of our lawn. I plan on using a push mowwr Scotts 20 reel mower but this first cut was done using a gas rotary and weed wacker.

Just wanted to post this update.

Abyss
Grass Type: Midnight II and Northstar out back

Post by Abyss » August 27th, 2017, 10:57 am

Congrats on the new lawn. Don't know much about your grass, but a little more about manual reels. What height are you going to cut at and how thick is the grass? A manual reel mower will tend to bind in thick grass, and make the knife bed bounce, and creates an uneven cut.

If you start to have issues with the manual reel, look into the Gardena 25v electric reel. Its a little pricey, but does a really good job, and it's perfect for small yards.

sandiego62

Post by sandiego62 » August 27th, 2017, 11:41 am

I like the idea if electric over gas. Thank you for the mower suggestion.

Dchall_San_Antonio

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » August 28th, 2017, 10:25 am

You can kill the slugs and snails literally overnight. Ammonium sulfate is a salty, crystalline fertilizer. It happens to be very inexpensive, too. It works just like pouring salt on snails and slugs. As soon as they touch it, they begin the dying process. If there is ivy in the area, throw some in there, too. The stuff is magical and very long lasting (against the snails).

I am hearing good things about the Echo brand of electric equipment at Home Depot. If I ever need to replace my Black and Decker battery powered mower and string trimmer, I'll be looking at Echo.

PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by PW405 » September 15th, 2017, 10:54 pm

sandiego62 wrote:
August 27th, 2017, 2:13 am
Wow! Great tips Dchall_San_Antonio. Thank you! Yes, I'm in 92117 zip codw about 5 miles east of the ocean (Pacific Beach and La Jolla).

Landscaper did his complimentay first lawn now that our sod is established. I hope the mushrooms dont come back but I did notice several slugs last night. Not sure if they will be an issue or not.

Here is a picture of our lawn. I plan on using a push mowwr Scotts 20 reel mower but this first cut was done using a gas rotary and weed wacker.

Just wanted to post this update.
Looking great! How is the growth habbit of this grass? Does it creep like bermudagrass?

sandiego62

Post by sandiego62 » September 16th, 2017, 12:45 am

It's been really warm hot/muggy on and off the last 2-3 weeks and feel the grass grows really fast.

I'm watering it 4x week for 7 minutes early in the morning. I'm using a Scott's reel mower and use the lowest setting down to 1". I feel like I have to mow it every 3 days to keep it looking clean and when I look at the clippings they are almost an inch long. It doesn't take too long nor is it physically hard but I'm considering the Gardena electric mower Dchall_San_Antonio suggested because when I lose momentum the mower binds up. I also tend to charge and lose control at times which messes up my lines and already hit and broke a sprinkler. Maybe I just need to do some squats and get over it. That has only happened a couple of times though but that on top of some stitches tearing off on my grass catcher, I'm wondering if my mower will last as long as I need it to. Maybe I'll switch off.

Overall though I've been happy with the mower and it is under a warranty. It's quiet which I like alot and I can mow the lawn without feeling like I'm bothering my neighbors during odd mowing hours - especially the new baby next door.

I did notice some lawn creep on the left side of the lawn. I'll try to take a picture on Sunday and confirm it's not something else.

I've been reading up on over-seeding so that's been on my mind lately. To do or not to do? The thought of having another type of grass growing on my lawn is just weird to me as a newbie but I guess that's what you do to stay green during dormancy...whenever that happens in San Diego 92117.

Also wondering when to start fertilizing.

I get a lot of compliments and and my landscaper who installed it couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

sandiego62

Post by sandiego62 » September 16th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Here is my lawn creeping...

PW405

Post by PW405 » September 16th, 2017, 9:56 pm

sandiego62 wrote:
September 16th, 2017, 12:32 pm
Here is my lawn creeping...

I'm pretty sure that is bermudagrass that is creeping. See notes in the attached photo. Now, I have zero experience with Paspalum, and for all I know it could have runners that look almost identical.

According to this site: http://www.seashorepaspalum.uga.edu/ Bermuda growing in Paspalum is very common. It can be identified by the presence of morning dew. Paspalum will not have dew, Bermudagrass will.

All things considered though, the lawn looks great and a little bermuda will not cause any major issues. Even if you were to put a decorative border between the turf and that dirt area, bermuda will creep under and into an area in search of sunlight. I am preparing to overseed the bermuda sections of my lawn today and found runners that were easily 36" long.

smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar

Post by smast16 » September 18th, 2017, 8:52 am

I'm pretty sure that is bermudagrass that is creeping. See notes in the attached photo. Now, I have zero experience with Paspalum, and for all I know it could have runners that look almost identical.
C'mon man... The 3rd section in the link you provided even says Paspalum spreads via rhizomes and stolons, a.k.a. runners.
Seashore paspalum also creates wear-tolerant sports fields because the grass grows aggressively from rhizomes and stolons...
sandiego62 that grass is beautiful. You're doing good. Based on the few pictures i don't see any need to overseed. Proper feeding and water will be more than enough to get that grass to spread and fill in any holes..... If you have any.

If you don't like the Scotts reel, then upgrade to the gardenia. Always enjoy the mow.

PW405

Post by PW405 » September 18th, 2017, 8:32 pm

smast16 wrote:
September 18th, 2017, 8:52 am
C'mon man... The 3rd section in the link you provided even says Paspalum spreads via rhizomes and stolons, a.k.a. runners.
Like I said, the stolons could look very similar to bermuda... I'm not sure. Regardless, lawn looks great and it won't be an issue either way. Looking forward to progress reports on this one!

sandiego62

Post by sandiego62 » September 24th, 2017, 10:40 am

I have not mowed since last Sunday. This is what that looks like. Lots of seed heads.

I feel its time to do something besides water. I've read alot and lawn seems fine but feel it wont hurt to spread some organic fertilizer. Anything else come to mind? No weeds yet either...

I'm just going to buy some Milorgonite since easy to find at large retail stores...I'll probably just buy a small handheld spreaded since yard is small.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Dchall_San_Antonio

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » September 27th, 2017, 12:47 pm

Thanks for keeping this updated and illustrated.

I agree that those stolons look remarkably like bermuda, but the blades are too coarse for bermuda. I think it's the p-grass.

Is your water reaching the edges of the lawn? Concrete holds heat all day and night which dries out the soil more. The grass near the driveway and sidewalk seem more heat stressed than that in the middle.

Don't worry about overseeding. Leave it completely alone for the first year. If it goes dormant, let it go and come back in the spring. Sometime this fall it should stop growing completely. You'll know because the mower goes right through it and doesn't cut anything. About a week later you can fertilize with a high N, fast release, fertilizer (uncoated urea). That will feed the roots without stimulating new growth. Then in the spring it should green up sooner than it would have otherwise. And unless some paspalum expert tells you different, don't fertilize until the end of May. Normally grass comes out of the ground like a rocket in the spring. Fertilizing early only makes that worse and results in depleting the plant's nutritional resources.

Are you deep watering yet?
Did you get rid of the slugs?

sandiego62

Post by sandiego62 » September 28th, 2017, 12:03 am

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
September 27th, 2017, 12:47 pm
Thanks for keeping this updated and illustrated.

I agree that those stolons look remarkably like bermuda, but the blades are too coarse for bermuda. I think it's the p-grass.

Is your water reaching the edges of the lawn? Concrete holds heat all day and night which dries out the soil more. The grass near the driveway and sidewalk seem more heat stressed than that in the middle.

Don't worry about overseeding. Leave it completely alone for the first year. If it goes dormant, let it go and come back in the spring. Sometime this fall it should stop growing completely. You'll know because the mower goes right through it and doesn't cut anything. About a week later you can fertilize with a high N, fast release, fertilizer (uncoated urea). That will feed the roots without stimulating new growth. Then in the spring it should green up sooner than it would have otherwise. And unless some paspalum expert tells you different, don't fertilize until the end of May. Normally grass comes out of the ground like a rocket in the spring. Fertilizing early only makes that worse and results in depleting the plant's nutritional resources.

Are you deep watering yet?
Did you get rid of the slugs?
I think the water is hitting the edges and it might just be that I did a really bad job trimming the edges too low 2 mow jobs ago. I will confirm though because you made a good point about the concrete and had not considered that.

You've convinced me not to overseed this first year. Thank you!

Mushrooms are gone. Haven't noticed the slugs. Maybe the ants got them! I'll check a couple times tonight a little more closely though.

I haven't deep watered yet but will try it this weekend after I re-read your suggestions from prior post. Thanks again for that reminder!

I bought Milorganite but have not spread it yet . It just doesn't look as green as it has in the past. Page 24 of this <Dead Link Removed by Moderator> suggests, "For home lawns, it is suggested you fertilize Seashore Paspalum three times the first year, and four times (quarterly) per year in
subsequent years". Please excuse my ignorance but are you saying not to fertilize at all until May 2018 after it has gone dormant or just not fertilize again until then? Your suggestions are very much appreciated!