San Diego, CA - Just had Platinum TE Paspalum installed

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: San Diego, CA - Just had Platinum TE Paspalum installed

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » April 13th, 2021, 5:11 pm

This is a situation where one man's grass is another man's weed. Dallisgrass is paspalum. You're trying to grow it and I'm trying to kill it. The situation is familiar: when you want to grow it you can't, and when I want to kill it I can't. Will it take over? If you have St Augustine it seems to take over. Can you use any seed? Well, it's hard for me to imagine it not spreading by itself. Should you wait until Memorial Day? Again, it is so vigorous I can't imagine it ever needing fertilizer. I would start evaluating it in mid May and decide then if you want to spend the money to fertilize. If it look pretty healthy and green, I would wait and reevaluate again in September.

SeanBB
Grass Type: Platinum TE Paspalum
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by SeanBB » April 17th, 2021, 8:53 pm

Hi @ElKay,

Speed zone supposedly works good for the broad leaf weeds, but it is hard to find locally. Check on amazon, I hear it works good on paspalum. There is also a speedzone "southern"...make sure you check the labels on which one to order..

My lawn seems to be doing well right now. I am fighting some Poa annua invasion but I am just trying to keep at it with the hand pulling. Try to spend some time out there to manually removing because every bit you can pull = less seeds. Also I am all organic but debating laying down some different things in the fall to maybe help with the weeds. (=not organic :( )

My lawn is definitely greening up and I have already very lightly fertilized with kelp a couple of times.

My issue now is I have a small spot about a foot around that seems to look like brown patch, so unfortunately I will be spraying a fungicide..or possibly laying down a granular. Does @Dchall_San_Antonio know if I can spot treat a fungicide or do I have to do the entire lawn?

My yard is super tiny so hand pulling weeds and inspecting carefully is easy...I understand if your lawn is bigger if you are overwhelmed by the task of weeding.

Your lawn still looks slightly asleep. I would hit it with a little nitrogen in the next few weeks if you dont see any green up or the lawn is still pale and yellow. Please take a photo of the whole lawn.

Hopefully some other people can chime in on how to care for this grass @southernguy311 @willnse @krs1 @lucasDOG

SeanBB

Post by SeanBB » May 28th, 2021, 7:14 pm

Where u all at? Any updates?

sandiego62
Grass Type: PASPALUM
Lawn Size: < 1000
Level: Novice

Post by sandiego62 » June 15th, 2021, 11:13 pm

My lawn woke up just after memorial day weekend. I guess the tarp and the bounce house got the dirt warm. Since then I started watering it again and have aerated it with a Yard Butler Lawn Coring Aerator. Some areas were rock hard. No wonder the grass hasn't been growing in those sections very well. Today I pulled some weeds. Hope to feed it this week most likely with some liquid lawn fertilizer. My lawn has not been growing well last couple years. Seems very stunted. Probably because of clay soil and probably because our kids playing on it so much. I'm just happy it's getting more green by the day. I'll take some pictures of it this week and will post them. I'm not giving up on my Paspalum quite yet! Cheers!

sandiego62

Post by sandiego62 » June 19th, 2021, 2:03 pm

SeanBB

Post by SeanBB » June 19th, 2021, 2:41 pm

Hey @sandiego62 ... how much are you watering? Looks really stressed, you should be green right now!

sandiego62

Post by sandiego62 » August 29th, 2021, 8:35 pm

I was watering for 9 minutes around 6am every other day. I've been trying to do deeper soaks since posting. I also fertilized it once. I did get noticeably greener after feeding last time. I'll try to post again in a week since I just applied some liquid N. This is what it looks like today after weed whacking it yesterday. My lawnmower just doesn't cut short enough to clean it up since it still has not been growing much and I did have some weeds.

sandiego62

Post by sandiego62 » September 21st, 2021, 9:21 pm

jmw
Grass Type: Aloha Seashore Paspalum

Post by jmw » March 12th, 2022, 1:14 am

When should I expect this grass to come out of dormancy? Installed Aloha seashore paspalum last fall, can’t wait for it to green up again like this

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 20th, 2022, 4:38 pm

Most lawns are out of dormancy by the end of March.

Would you mind tuning up your profile to home in better on your location? As you well know from living there, there are huge differences between the environments of La Jolla and El Cajon yet both are considered to be San Diego. If you live in El Cajon and we give you advice for La Jolla, it won't help you. But it is still safe to say, most lawns from Anchorage to Panama are out of dormancy by late March.

jmw

Post by jmw » March 27th, 2022, 9:53 am

Thanks. This lawn is in Mira Mesa. Just a little bit more inland compared to Clairemont.

I just hope I can avoid the issues the OP encountered. From this thread I’m making note of the recommended watering schedule based on temps, and a Memorial Day fertilizer. Will do some leveling in the bumpy areas where the soil has settled.

jmw

Post by jmw » April 9th, 2022, 12:40 pm

I see it start coming back. Put down DiseaseEX to address those dead spots

jmw

Post by jmw » May 7th, 2022, 6:34 pm

Bummed that my fate appears to be the same as the OP. I must have been too late with the DiseasEX, as the brown is in patches. If it’s because of too much moisture though, I don’t get how the area that gets shade is doing just fine.

SDAnnette
Grass Type: Paspalum

Post by SDAnnette » May 27th, 2022, 1:11 pm

I have been following this thread too. I feel like our Pasp should be much greener by now. We have moved to 50min water Tu/Sa. 2weeks ago high Phosphorus fertilizer. I have a Toro reel master that I wish I could get a used verticut reel to break up some of the more solid spots. Has anyone had great success with this grass? I'm kind of missing my old Bermuda lawn. We are located in Poway.

jmw

Post by jmw » July 5th, 2022, 1:57 pm

Been having some success bringing it back. Milorganite on Memorial Day and been keeping up with extra water on the bare spots. @sdannette hope you’re seeing more green