Zeon or JaMur? (Zoysia)

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Orlando Mark
Grass Type: Zeon
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Zeon or JaMur? (Zoysia)

Post by Orlando Mark » August 6th, 2017, 2:47 pm

I need to make a decision asap to install Zeon or JaMur for my 1200 sq ft front yard. They site is prepped for proper drainage. Sand with a little loam in Orlando Florida. I've rolled it for flatness (not sure if that was right to do?) and installed a good irrigation system. Yard gets about 3-5 hours of mid-day sun, depending on the time of the year. (More sun during summer) I would like to keep it at 1-2 inches, would use a reel, starting with a Fiskars push mower.

I want the WOW of low cut Zeon, but am concerned that I may "mess it up" and recovery will be painfully slow. I'm almost at paralysis by way of over-analysis. Any help or words or wisdom?
Last edited by andy10917 on August 6th, 2017, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited by Moderator for clarity

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Zeon or JaMur?

Post by andy10917 » August 6th, 2017, 2:55 pm

Mark, while certainly not rare around here, mentioning two cultivars of Zoysia without ever writing the word Zoysia will cut back on responses.

Orlando Mark

Re: Zeon or JaMur?

Post by Orlando Mark » August 6th, 2017, 2:59 pm

Thanks Andy. I can't seem to find where to edit the original... Yes, I'm choosing between Zeon Zoysia and JaMur Zoysia. I'm so caught up in it, that I'm not even thinking there is any other turf available :)

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Zeon or JaMur? (Zoysia)

Post by andy10917 » August 6th, 2017, 3:13 pm

I fixed it.

Orlando Mark

Post by Orlando Mark » August 8th, 2017, 7:08 am

I went to the JaMur farm and took some pics. Like a dummy, i didn't measure height, but I believe it is 3 inches tall.

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » August 8th, 2017, 1:23 pm

I'd go with Zeon if you want the wow factor. Zoysia is slower to recover compared to bermuda, but if you don't scalp it you should be fine (this may mean lowering the HOC over several weeks).

I know Jamur is suppose to be lower maintenance, but from your pictures it looks very wide bladed and reminds me more of the Zenith/Compadre Zoysias.

I see you said only 3-5 hours of afternoon sun, is this all the sun you have? Is it direct or dappled? I tried Zeon and Zenith at my last home in Raleigh, NC with about 4.5 hours of sun and was not happy with either's performance. Loved the look of the Zeon though.

Orlando Mark

Post by Orlando Mark » August 8th, 2017, 5:21 pm

I've heard Jamur described as "medium blade", but to me it looked pretty similar to Empire. I've never seen Zenith in person.

Yes, 3-5 hours of direct (and hot) sun. There is a little more, but dappled thru Live Oaks. I actually wrote the company that created it, Bladerunner Farms and got a response from the owner, David Douget himself! It was a short reply, but he said that either Zoysia cultivar would work under those light conditions. He said Zeon requires the least light, but Jamur isn't too far behind.

I'm not happy to hear that 4.5 hours of sun didn't work for your Zeon. What happened? Thinned out or wasn't it able to stay healthy?

probasesteal
Grass Type: FRONT: SPF30, NuGlad and Midnight. BACK: Hogan's TTTF with SPF30 HBG

Post by probasesteal » August 8th, 2017, 9:56 pm

It thinned and was slow to green up. I think you'll be better off on Florida

Jayhawkmba
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia, tifGrand, & 419

Post by Jayhawkmba » August 9th, 2017, 11:18 pm

Zeon for curb appeal. Solid establishment will take longer with a part sun install. Do not aggressively cut, scalp this year.