Spittlebug control

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
gibby13
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Spittlebug control

Post by gibby13 » August 23rd, 2017, 10:35 am

There were hundreds of these things flying up the other day when I was mowing. What does this community recommend to get rid of them? Looking for something I can put down with a broadcast spreader around 10k. Or maybe hookup to the end of a hose.

I have found a few different choices, the Bifen LP I put down on August 7th didn't seem to do anything to them.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Spittlebug control

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » August 28th, 2017, 10:36 am

Nothing at all. Just enjoy them flying around when you mow. If you try to kill every insect you see you will damage the soil itself. A big category of beneficial critters in your soil is the insects. Spraying to kill an inconsequential bug is a path you should stay off of.

gibby13
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Spittlebug control

Post by gibby13 » August 28th, 2017, 10:42 am

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
August 28th, 2017, 10:36 am
Nothing at all. Just enjoy them flying around when you mow. If you try to kill every insect you see you will damage the soil itself. A big category of beneficial critters in your soil is the insects. Spraying to kill an inconsequential bug is a path you should stay off of.
That is what I read too, but some articles mentioned after you have so many in a sq/ft that it might be time to take care of them, as the nymphs actually destroy the grass.