I think its time to come over to the dar...err, warm side!

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
weigojmi
Grass Type: TTTF...with way too much Bermuda!
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

I think its time to come over to the dar...err, warm side!

Post by weigojmi » October 3rd, 2017, 12:24 pm

Hello,

I'm going to stop fighting the losing battle with bermuda in my fescue lawn and finally start employing warm season practices. Right now about half my lawn is what I think is some kind of wild Bermuda because it has never been seeded in the 11 years I've lived there. Quite frankly it doesn't look that great even in the summer which could be because I've been ignoring it.

So I would appreciate some advice where to start. I have a soil test from a few years ago but maybe its time for another? I was thinking about starting in the back yard as a test ground but there is quite a bit of shade there so is Bermuda even the best choice? I can't even seem to keep fescue alive long back there but I also do not have irrigation so mostly rely on mother nature. I'm still reading through this forum and I would say I'm a complete warm season noob but am pretty informed about cool season practices and concepts, etc.

Thanks.

kg70041
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: I think its time to come over to the dar...err, warm side!

Post by kg70041 » October 4th, 2017, 8:35 am

I think the biggest issue would be what would grow well enough in the shade. I typically see cool-season types grown in areas that have enough shade to protect from the heat in the summer down here in NC/SC.

There are a few bermuda varieties that do OK in the shade but still need 3-4 hrs of relatively direct sunlight to thrive. Even if you did have tip-top soil conditions it would be tough to keep bermuda growing with low to no sun.

How much of the lawn has been invaded by bermuda? Is it creeping from a neighbors yard?

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » October 5th, 2017, 12:55 pm

If you want a more dominant turf, you could use St Augustine. It will easily clear out the bermuda in the shady areas. In the sunny areas you can still get it to take over, BUT YOU HAVE TO WATER IT.

Watering: Deep and infrequent is the mantra for watering. This is for all turf grass all over the place. Deep means 1 inch all at one time. Put some cat food or tuna cans around the yard, and time how long it takes your sprinkler(s) to fill all the cans. Memorize that time. That will be the time you water from now on. My hose, sprinkler and water pressure takes 8 full hours to fill the cans. Your time will likely be less. I like gentle watering. As for watering frequency, that depends on the daytime air temperature. With temps in the 90s, deep water once per week. With temps in the 80s, deep water once every 2 weeks. With temps in the 70s, deep water once every 3 weeks. With temps below 70, deep water once a month. Note that you have to keep up with quickly changing temps in the spring and fall. This deep and infrequent schedule works in Phoenix and in Vermont, so it should work for you. The reason for deep and infrequent is to grow deeper, more drought resistant roots and to allow the soil to dry completely at the surface for several days before watering again. If it rains, reset your calendar to account for the rainfall.

St Aug needs the same water as any grass if you want any grass to look good. I use oscillator sprinklers on a hose.

Mulch mow St Aug at the mower's highest setting every 1, 2, or 3 weeks. The taller it is the more healthy it gets, because the roots grow deeper and pick up more nutrients and moisture. I have maintained it at 32 inches tall at which point it is completely self sustaining. It stops growing, needs no water, and needs no fertilizer. It was great until people complained.

Fertilize on Memorial Day, Labor Day, and about Thanksgiving. I like organic fertilizer, but you can use chemical ferts. Once every year it helps to apply an organic fertilizer to improve your soil health.

If you are patient, you can start with just one piece of St Augustine located in the shade. It will take root and spread 15 feet every year. The first year the runners go out 15 feet. The second year the runners fill in and continue growing out another 15 feet. I gained thousands of square feet of St Aug by being patient. It dominates all the prairie weeds I had including bermuda.

weigojmi
Grass Type: TTTF...with way too much Bermuda!
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by weigojmi » October 5th, 2017, 1:10 pm

Thanks guys! @Dchall, St. Augustine is intriguing and I've gone so long with a sub par lawn that I have developed patience if the results will be positive long term. And starting small will help with watering since I don't have irrigation and am not home much during the week.

I will start researching this grass since I know nothing yet except what you've mentioned...but I assume there are different cultivars to choose from and the seeding practices are the same as for cool season grasses? Except done at a different time? Do you ever overseed?

@KG, the bermuda has been around since day 1 in the house. Both direct neighbors have it so its hard to say if the chicken or the egg came first. :) Also, where are you in Fort Mill? I work in Fort Mill at Schaeffler (used to be INA) not far from Carowinds.

kg70041
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Level: Experienced

Post by kg70041 » October 5th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Might be worth doing a test patch of either SA or Bermuda to see how it reacts in the growing season. I'll likely be experimenting with a shadier patch in my backyard next year to see if I can get something growing...otherwise it'll get mulched.

I'm over on the east side of Fort Mill just north of the Catawba. Been in FM for ~5 years and grew up about 20 minutes away in Matthews. Small world!