FAS Application Q's

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
kg70041
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

FAS Application Q's

Post by kg70041 » October 20th, 2017, 9:31 am

Looking for some insight into best practices for FAS application. I've combed the Warm-Season and the Soil Mgmt forum and am a little unclear on a couple Qs:

1. Am I correct in assuming a pump/backsprayer is the best option? I do have both hose-end and backpack. Hose-end would be much easier for 10k SFT.
2. 3-4oz/K is the proper amount for Bermuda? (I did see a few using 4oz/K)
3. 4oz/K would be 4oz of the 'mixed' solution (Ferrous Sulfate & Ammonium Sulfate)?

My plan is to get an application down timed to an upcoming rain event, or I'd irrigate in prior to 24 hours (likely less).

I know I'm over-thinking it...but any advice is appreciated!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Re: FAS Application Q's

Post by Green » October 22nd, 2017, 8:25 pm

I can't help on the specifics for Bermuda, but some of your other questions are answered in the cool-season forum.

Also, have you read the article in the articles section of this site? Here's the link in case you haven't: https://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=117
It answers the ratio and mixing questions.

I use a pump sprayer. Many people who have several types of sprayers also use one for this. You don't want a hose-end sprayer...but I don't see why a backpack sprayer wouldn't work too. Just watch out...the stuff can stain the inside of your sprayer. And possibly concrete.

Finally...not sure why you'd be in a rush to irrigate. It's not a soil drench...it's a foliar application. If it's really hot out, you probably want to apply in the evening and wash it off the grass the next morning before it gets hot...but it needs to stay on the grass a certain amount of time before you irrigate.

kg70041
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by kg70041 » October 23rd, 2017, 1:00 pm

Thanks Green. Took the time to go re-read the article and got the mixing dialed in.

My plan wasn't to irrigate immediately, but I had read that some folks had irrigated after leaving their application on for 12+ hours or so. I don't expect the weather to warm up much from here on out, although yesterday was a bit of an anomaly. I would think that without the temps getting too hot that you'd just be able to leave the FAS alone after application.

I'm going to apply at 2-3oz/K as a test to see how it works out.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » October 24th, 2017, 12:14 am

No prob. And I find it applies better with a fan tip nozzle without using a sweeping motion. Go half rate, and then a second time perpendicular.

Good luck.