Centipede Overseed Question

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
gibby13
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Centipede Overseed Question

Post by gibby13 » March 29th, 2018, 11:43 am

I have about 300/sqft that the builder did not lay centipede sod on. I already did 2 apps of glyphosate on the area and was thinking about trying to seed it with TifBlair Centipede Grass Seed

Would it be ok to overseed some of my thin centipede sod areas with this seed?

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Centipede Overseed Question

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 29th, 2018, 5:33 pm

Why is the centipede thin? Is it thin because the builder didn't put grass there and it has not spread to fill? Or is it thin because there is shade in the area?

Otherwise, I don't see why you could not seed it. What does the bag say about when to seed? I ask because if it needs hot soil, the soil is not hot yet. Wait until June or July if it wants hot soil. If not, then I would still wait until late August to seed. Why? Because what you'll get now is a ton of crabgrass instead of centipede. If you want to buy pieces of sod you could fill the rest in all at one time and do that now.

gibby13
Grass Type: Centipede

Post by gibby13 » March 30th, 2018, 9:26 am

It is thin due to the dogs and kids in only a few spots in the back and one in the front where I had a bad weed problem last year. I already did my pre-em app in Feb and then the past 2 weeks I did 2 apps of Celsius with MSM so I am not to worried about anymore weeds coming in.

Kind of hard to read the bag from Amazon but I found the website and it said earliest to do it would be May but we are already in the mid 80's here. We are cutting out 256sq/ft of SOD in the back this weekend to make a patio and firepit area so I am going to see how much of the thin spots that will cover first.

killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA

Post by killerv » April 9th, 2018, 12:07 pm

won't the pre-m affect the germination of that expensive centipede seed? Centipede seed takes a couple seasons, maybe more to get where you want it to get. For only 300sf, I'd go the sod route and be done with it. A bag of centipede seed goes a long way, you'll have way more than you need for 300sf