2018 Yard Pics

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
wiredawg
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

2018 Yard Pics

Post by wiredawg » April 3rd, 2018, 4:31 pm

Hello all, Just wanted to start a 2018 Yard Pics Thread. I really enjoy seeing all the great looking lawns from the folks on this forum. So I'll start with mine. Did my first bagged cut/higher setting (rotary mower) back in 20 Feb. 3 days later I lowered is to its lowest setting/ scalping my hybird-bermuda lawn. Also, applied pre-emergent (Prodiamine) this same week. Yesterday cut/bagged and applied my first feeding of Milorganite.

Abyss
Grass Type: Midnight II and Northstar out back

Re: 2018 Yard Pics

Post by Abyss » April 24th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Just scalped it on Sunday, haven’t done anything to it yet except spray a little weed killer on Saturday, and threw down some sand for leveling. Second pic is from right after scalp (during actually, had to get the weed sacked out for around the cleanouts). 1st pic is 48 hours later

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » April 25th, 2018, 12:22 am

Abyss wrote:
April 24th, 2018, 4:51 pm
Just scalped it on Sunday, haven’t done anything to it yet except spray a little weed killer on Saturday, and threw down some sand for leveling.
Looking forward to seeing how it greens up this year. It's cool that you've been pushing the envelope with the Bermuda range.

Abyss

Post by Abyss » April 25th, 2018, 5:26 pm

If it made it through this winter, it’ll make it through anything, had 22 days that it didn’t get above freezing, many of those days around 10-15 degrees, with no snow cover for protection. It looks like it should come back fine, and I’m about 1.5 weeks behind the cold weather grasses

GTTJ
Grass Type: Floratam

Post by GTTJ » May 22nd, 2018, 9:47 pm

Moved from NC to south Florida and Bermuda/centipede to St. Augustine this year. Double cut the front tonight.

Front yard

Back yard

sandiego62
Grass Type: PASPALUM
Lawn Size: < 1000
Level: Novice

Post by sandiego62 » May 30th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Backyard is dirt for most part after tearing out Ficus trees few months ago but I pulled weeds and the new cat helped. Mowed the front down to 1" and landscaper who installed my Seashore Paspalum last summer randomly stopped by to make sure my sprinkler system was okay. I Also tilled that small patch of dirt in front to get it ready to plant some blueberry bushes.

Abyss

Post by Abyss » July 17th, 2018, 5:21 pm

Quick pic, just got done raining......

zachhorn
Grass Type: Tiffway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by zachhorn » July 22nd, 2018, 8:46 am

Wow Abyss. That is some dense turf. What height are you cutting it too and what kind of mower are you using? Frequency?

KB in MD (21740)
Grass Type: Meyer Zoysia
Lawn Size: < 1000
Level: Novice

Post by KB in MD (21740) » August 16th, 2018, 4:11 pm

zachhorn wrote:
July 22nd, 2018, 8:46 am
Wow Abyss. That is some dense turf. What height are you cutting it too and what kind of mower are you using? Frequency?
What he said above :amen:

ctrav
Grass Type: Bermuda tiff 419

Post by ctrav » August 17th, 2018, 12:18 am

I will call these my before pics since I have not received my soil test and feedback...

All I can say is wait until next year...

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » August 23rd, 2018, 5:53 pm

Our yard has been under construction all summer while my wife was off. Here's the final product.

It hasn't been mowed, but you get the idea. The yellowish grass in toward the house is St Augustine. The deeper green stuff where I'm standing is wild prairie grasses which are being overtaken by the St Aug. You can see where the St Aug is coming toward me. Grass is yellow because I'm horrible at taking my own advice on fertilizing. It hasn't been fertilized since last year. The hole in the middle of the yard is, literally, a hole. We keep filling it. I think it's finally full just waiting for the grass to fill in.

If you ever wanted to put in a stone path like we did next to the concrete path, let me know. That one took us 30 days to do with no plan at all. But we learned a lot. We did another path in the back that is just as long as the one in front, but it only took us 10 hours to do the second one.

Abyss

Post by Abyss » September 20th, 2018, 8:25 pm

zachhorn wrote:
July 22nd, 2018, 8:46 am
Hey, sorry, haven’t been on here for a while, kind of lost some pizazz when I kept getting told that my grass wasn’t a cool season grass variety and I’ve barely had enough time to cut my lawn this summer.

I’ll try to get some pics, it’s been over 2 weeks since I mowed, raised my electric reel mower to 42mm today (as high as it goes), and it scalped it a little so I wanna give it a day or two.

I’ve been cutting it at about 1/2” all summer, but have been slowly raising it for about the last 5 weeks to get it ready for protecting the roots over winter.

As far as notes on everything:

Patriot Bermuda installed May of 2016, Lansdale PA
4/22 - scalped
5/5 - yard fully green 1st cut
5/8 - sprayed for weeds, dimension application, 1lb nitrogen app. (Repeat nitrogen 1x a month)
6/4 - plant growth regulator app, repeat every 6 weeks

Water 1” 1x a week, 1/2” 1x a week
Mow at 1/2” 2x a week (or up to 2 weeks and have to raise the mower a couple mm)

This grass is insane, my neighbors yards are all crabgrass, including the one that is attached to mine (it’s been really bad this year). I’ve had single crabgrass plants here and there popping up, sometimes I would pull them, sometimes just mow them down. But for the most part it has kept the weeds at bay by itself this year, even at 1/2”. 2 years ago I sodded it up to my property line, and in two years my neighbors yard is full Bermuda almost as thick as mine, 6 feet over my property line, with a lot of runners going out another 3 feet. Those runners should fully fill in next year and runners going to the far side of his property line with full coverage going to his walkway in 4 years from sodding date. My dog used to leave pee spots in my back yard everywhere (110lb field lab can spot up a 12x28’ yard pretty quick). Since the Bermuda it just laughs at it, and even if it does kill some of it off, it usually never kills off the whole spot, and within a week it was right back to being as thick.

I’m contemplating taking pieces from my strip along the roadway, and putting them in everyone’s yard on my block. I had an extra piece when I installed it, and put it in the center of the one lady I’m friends with farther down the block, and with no maintenance it’s taken over 1/3 of her yard.

It’s been a fun project, and I’m really happy with it.

Abyss

Post by Abyss » September 20th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Here’s a pretty good pic from May 26th, shows the color pretty good

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » September 20th, 2018, 10:13 pm

Abyss wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 8:25 pm
This grass is insane ... 2 years ago I sodded it up to my property line, and in two years my neighbors yard is full Bermuda almost as thick as mine, 6 feet over my property line, with a lot of runners going out another 3 feet.
Curious as to if you also mow your neighbor's lawn for him at the same HOC, or if he maintains it at a higher cut?

If at a higher cut, sounds like the bermuda does fine with that, too?

Abyss wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 8:25 pm
It’s been a fun project, and I’m really happy with it.
I've always enjoyed reading about it -- thanks for posting the update!