bytore
Grass Type: Zeon Zoysia
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Help with Zeon Zoysia

Post by bytore » July 24th, 2018, 4:33 pm

3rd year of Zeon Zoysia 1.2k
HoC of 2"
1" of water every Fri or Mon morning depending on rain. (which we have had very little of all year).

Fertilized with 10-10-10 in May and again in June at 1 pound N per 1k. Then again with Milorganite at same rate the first week of July. Alfalfa pellets last week. I started applying BLSC and Kelp Help last month.

The lawn was picture perfect the first two years. This year about 3/4 of the lawn never greened up. Some of it turned straw like but most of it turned to a grayish to black color. I thought the grayish grass spots were growing in size and put down Heritage and Eagle. I did not put down any fungicides in the fall or spring. Any insights would be appreciated.

Soil test link viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24165

ImageImage

bytore

Re: Help with Zeon Zoysia

Post by bytore » July 24th, 2018, 8:19 pm

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » August 9th, 2018, 7:17 pm

My Dallas sources have moved away, so I feel somewhat in the dark about the conditions last winter. I know I'm several hundred miles to the south and we had a week or more where the temp did not go above freezing. The fruit trees loved it, but the lawns took quite a beating. Zeon should have come through better than many lawns, but yours looks frost damaged to me.

If you have not dethatched, I would do that when the summer heat breaks. I almost never suggest dethatching, but almost nobody has zoysia.

Would you mind fixing your Profile to put Plano or Plano/Dallas in for the Location. Northern Texas translates to the Panhandle for non Texans.

bytore

Post by bytore » August 21st, 2018, 1:58 pm

I completely missed your post. I did update my profile. We had zero frost and none of the heavy spring rains we usually get in the Dallas area. Since my original post I did some things that I normally wouldn't have.

I lowered my HOC to 2 inches. It was so dense(where it was thriving) and high, I don't think there could be any air flow near or above dirt level. This scalped a lot of the yard.
I have a Greenway dethatcher that I have used to remove dead grass on previous reno's and used that to remove as much dead material as I could. There was no thatch.
I also put down 2lbs of N.
In the last few weeks the lawn has really perked up. Well for Zoysia it has, it is slow to repair after all. The worst areas are showing new growth near the crowns and on new rhizomes, not on the tall stems.