Grass appearing to die, help with ways to revive yard?

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
J89Mike
Grass Type: I don’t know.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Grass appearing to die, help with ways to revive yard?

Post by J89Mike » August 10th, 2018, 5:02 am

Hey everyone, I recently moved into a new property in July of this calendar year. The house is located in Phoenix, Arizona where the temperatures right now are around 115. It usually takes until late October for these temperatures to drop below triple digits and I’m wondering how I can help my lawn revive in the meantime. When I first moved in, the grass was pretty dead all around and now, a few weeks with sprinklers programmed, some have started to see some green.

My question is, what should I do to attempt to fix this problem before the winter comes? Keep in mind our winter doesn’t usually drop below 65. Is there any specific seed or general recommendations to achieve good grass?

Please see attached pictures.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Grass appearing to die, help with ways to revive yard?

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » August 10th, 2018, 9:08 am

No seed. That looks like a hybrid bermuda, so seeding any other grass, even bermuda, will make it look weedy.

Deep and infrequent watering will bring it back. When you water do it one inch at a time. If you get runoff before you get 1 inch, then stop watering and wait 15 minutes for the water to soak in. I have a friend in Phoenix who has St Augustine in the shady back yard and bermuda in the sunny front. He waters on Thursday and Monday this time of year. When it cools back into the 90s it is a good idea to cut back to once a week. You can put out cat food or tuna cans to time how long it takes your sprinkler to provide 1 inch. Memorize that time, because that will be your watering time from now on. When it cools into the 60s you can cut back to watering once a month.

Bermuda can take fertilizer all during the growing season. Once a month or every 6 weeks will keep it growing quickly.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » August 10th, 2018, 9:22 am

J89Mike, a change to your terminology will help you a great deal. "Dead" and "Alive" are not the states to consider grass to be in. Grass does not recover from "Dead" any more than your dog would. But many grasses can go to a "dormant" state, where less water is required and growth is slow or stopped - while it waits for improved conditions. Yes, it will be brown. And interestingly, it still requires a bit of water every now and again when it goes dormant - after all it is not "dead". "Dormant" is a survival technique that says conditions are not optimal right now.

jobryant
Grass Type: Midiron Bermuda

Post by jobryant » August 23rd, 2018, 6:04 pm

Good to see more people from Phoenix on the forum!

I'm in Phoenix too and I came to the forum because everyone on other sites kept referring to the 'Bermuda Bible': https://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=117

I'm using this as my guide going forward. The writer, texasweed, is pretty active on this forum too (thank you TW)

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » August 23rd, 2018, 8:45 pm

jobryant wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 6:04 pm
Good to see more people from Phoenix on the forum!

I'm in Phoenix too and I came to the forum because everyone on other sites kept referring to the 'Bermuda Bible': https://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=117

I'm using this as my guide going forward. The writer, texasweed, is pretty active on this forum too (thank you TW)
I don't think texasweed is on the forum anymore. In fact, I think that link goes to the Bestlawn Bermuda Guide (by Mightyquinn), which replaced the Bermuda Bible some time back.

ctrav
Grass Type: Bermuda tiff 419

Post by ctrav » August 23rd, 2018, 11:02 pm

Where do I find the Bestlawn Bermuda Bible?

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » August 24th, 2018, 5:51 pm

ctrav, surely you jest.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » August 31st, 2018, 6:45 pm

ctrav, the latest and greatest guide to growing bermuda is found on the Bestlawn/ATY home page in the articles. Let's say that it is an update of TW's old Bermuda Bible written by Mightyquinn and sporting a new title. If you've never been to the home page, there's a lot of stuff there.