Type of Zoysia

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Roadlizzard
Grass Type: 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Type of Zoysia

Post by Roadlizzard » January 7th, 2019, 11:12 am

I live in north central Florida and while working on the golf course I noticed a large section of grass that didn't grow that tall and spread like crazy and could handle the heat. It's some type of Zoysia. The course had 419 Bermuda but this Zoysia would send runners out and take over the Bermund. I have 419 in my ward but I have problems getting it to grown on the sides of my house because of the shade. I got a couple plugs of this Zoysia and planted them on the side and they are growing like crazy. Can anyone tell me what types of Zoysia it could be? I think its a native grass because of how it grows and handles the heat. It doesn't really make any difference because if it works it works. Thanks

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Type of Zoysia

Post by turf_toes » January 7th, 2019, 11:25 am

If you were living in Korea or Japan, it might be a native grass. There are no cultivars of Zoysia native to any part of North America.

The better cultivars of Zoysia are spread by plugs, not seed. So if you like it, I’d suggest you continue plugging it.

If you really want or need to know the specific cultivar, I’d ask the folks managing the turf. You say you work there. So I’m assuming you don’t actually maintain the turf, but work there in some other capacity.

No one here or any other site will be able to answer that question without guessing.

You work at a golf course. I’d suggest asking the manager.

Spacklerstyle
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiff 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by Spacklerstyle » January 28th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Hi roadlizard. Did you ever find out what type of Zoysia this was? I have a similar problem with the Bermuda in my side yards as well...

Roadlizzard

Post by Roadlizzard » February 11th, 2019, 11:15 am

I never did find out and I guess I never will. No one knows where it came from or how it got on that section of the golf course. I just going to let it spread and take out my side yard and if it wants to mover into my back yard with 419 I don't plan on trying to stop it. I plan on using a cup cutter and moving it around the side to help it spread.

Roadlizzard

Post by Roadlizzard » March 7th, 2019, 10:37 pm

In my community everyone puts in Empire Zoysia what I have noticed it seems to grow taller and much thicker that what I have gotten from the golf course. The grass I have really don't know what it is, it just wants to send out runners and doesn't grow in height so it hardly ever needs mowing.

KB in MD (21740)
Grass Type: Meyer Zoysia
Lawn Size: < 1000
Level: Novice

Post by KB in MD (21740) » January 31st, 2020, 7:57 am

i know this is old but how about some pics of said mystery grass?

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » February 12th, 2020, 4:56 pm

I'm going to reply as if it was recent even though this is an older question.
Keep a very close eye on that area of grass in the golf course. I had once planted one of the Manila varieties of zoysia in a spot which had not been invaded by bermuda. Eventually the two met and it was a stand off for a couple of seasons. Eventually the zoysia got affected by a dry spell and went dormant, for the rest of the growing season. The bermuda took that opportunity and stomped the zoysia. Zoysia dormancy during a growing season is a serious problem for appearance and for allowing weeds to invade. I've seen many zoysia lawns do this. Most of them converted to St Augustine, because it can be a Herculean effort to keep zoysia looking good.

Here is a picture of a zoysia lawn which got a fungus in the spring. This is a drainage location from the lawn and ground cover bed behind it.

The picture was taken in July following rains that happened in the spring. The owner dug out all the grass and resodded to make it green again. Next year the same thing happened.