Eskcipher lawn history and future

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Eskcipher
Grass Type: Burmuda
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Eskcipher lawn history and future

Post by Eskcipher » February 10th, 2019, 12:05 am

Hi everyone I’m new here and forums in general didn’t know how to start out but thought a somewhat brief history of my yard and my work with it would be a start.

Basic information of the yard, approximately 10,000 ft.² I separate into front and back and both have a big section and a small, both pretty much equal in size and I definitely spoil the front more than the back. Clay soil. Burmuda is my favorite grass and I don’t quite care for Saint Augustine. For most of the year I mow 2x per week at 2 inches and until right before it goes dormant I bump it up a notch for winter

I bought my house November 2016 yard was full of weeds didn’t care just mowed them all down except for a 3-4 foot wide area of wandering Jew/purple Jew around house, I had a lot of brush to remove Just to find the fence and half the house. Throughout the winter yard was completely full of winter rye. 2017 Burmuda started off in the front two sections totaling about 10 ft.² I pushed it really hard with water and straight nitrogen fertilizer and I got it to take over about half of the front yard and thick enough in a few places I could take half a full can of Dr Pepper and the grass would hold it up

2017 winter Not so much ryegrass but a lot of weeds.
2018 spring and summer, I scalped in the spring put down prodiamine. Yard came in pretty full, the pictures I put up or actually from the front in May( The back is nothing like the front) but the yard never got to its full potential because come the middle of summer I kind of got some bad news at work and I took a break from my lawn and I let it go too long and by the time I came it back a lot of it had been dormant for too long never 100% recovered

This winter wasn’t really able to take care of it for a multitude of reasons for about two months and weeds took over everywhere. I’m getting excited for the spring and this year’s growing season I got a bunch of different plans just don’t know which ones to go with yet. I should get my soil test back sometime next week and I guess we can start from there. I’m glad to be on here are used the Burmuda grass guide a lot and it is was one of the few things that got me started out in the lawn

Apologies for the long post I tried to make it very brief but alas that’s impossible and I skipped a lot

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Eskcipher lawn history and future

Post by andy10917 » February 10th, 2019, 10:09 am

Welcome and don't be afraid to put as much detail as you'd like.

Eskcipher
Grass Type: Burmuda
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Eskcipher lawn history and future

Post by Eskcipher » February 14th, 2019, 1:31 pm

I always re-read the best bermuda guide several times a year but for some reason I just noticed this. My first year or use a straight urea 46-0-0 and I put it down at .5# N every 2 weeks and I think I got great results. My 2nd year I used a 20-4-8 with 25% sulfur coated urea at 1# every 4 weeks and I thought it did pretty good with little growth surges. I was just thinking about going back to the straight urea for budget this year unless soil sample says otherwise but I noticed that it says on the guide to put down .5# N a week or 1# N every other week. Is this correct/better or just a typo