Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
RoosterKellogs
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

What is wrong with my lawn??

Post by RoosterKellogs » March 30th, 2019, 2:06 pm

North Texas, Dallas Area, Bermuda lawn.
The lawn is a bit over a year old on a new build house. Even after it was planted it didn’t look great. Through last spring and summer it never really took off and I never really knew what o was doing. I think I only applied milorganite and water during the spring and summer. It grew a bit, but never thick or very green.
During the fall I applied Scott’s fall/winter weed and feed.
These past two weeks temps have risen and I tried to get ahead of it so I laid more milorganite, and a weed and feed. But the lawn is still just full of weeds and doesn’t seem to have many new sprigs, or seem like it’s growing.
A neighbors lawn who had the same weed issue and was planted around the same time is starting to grow new sprigs.
I’m just wondering if I killed my lawn, or if there’s anything I can be doing right now to get ahead of it as day time temps are mid-upper 70s and only going up.

kg70041
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: What is wrong with my lawn??

Post by kg70041 » April 1st, 2019, 11:25 am

Perhaps an active ingredient in the weed n feed could potentially be detrimental to Bermuda? Seen this with Triclopyr a few times. Are seams still visible in the sod or can you pull any up without much resistance? If you guys had as much rain as we did this winter then I don't think there would be any issues with desiccation.

Did you scalp at all? Or just waiting for green up (can't really tell from the pics)? Temps here in SC have gotten a bit better but we're still a good ways off from seeing sustained growth.

RoosterKellogs

Post by RoosterKellogs » April 1st, 2019, 8:25 pm

I didn’t scalp it really because there wasn’t much to scalp and I was happy I had anything hah. I did cut it pretty short. I made sure my weed and feed was good for Bermuda before laying. No more seams, just no growth. Maybe more water and a few weeks and I’ll start to get something or try and find a real service who can fix it.

kg70041

Post by kg70041 » April 2nd, 2019, 8:18 am

As long as the roots took hold after the first season then growth should start to pick up when temps are consistently warmer. We've had some warmer spells that spooked all the trees and flowers into blooming early, and then promptly dropped back into the 30-40s at night. Based on the 10 day forecast for Dallas there might be some good growth coming shortly with some rain and moderating temps.

RoosterKellogs

Post by RoosterKellogs » April 2nd, 2019, 10:01 am

Thank you for the insight. I wish the weed and feed had done more for the weed issue. I also have some “Weed stop”, I wonder if I can also use that to get these weeds down.

kg70041

Post by kg70041 » April 2nd, 2019, 1:48 pm

If it's the Spectracide Weed Stop then go for it. Just can't use it when the temps are over 85 degrees. At that point it's Celcius or hand-pulling. I would spot spray what you're trying to knock down and then maybe another round in a few weeks. Get that taken care of now so the Bermuda isn't under too much weed pressure during green-up.

Hopefully the fert and rain/warm temps will get everything moving.