Blackjack + La Prime HD (Yukon, Royal Bengal)

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
TXWOODS
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Blackjack + La Prime HD (Yukon, Royal Bengal)

Post by TXWOODS » May 2nd, 2019, 9:43 pm

We have a sodded (about 4 years) Bermuda yard that got away from us for various reasons and areas (low sun, poor drainage, weeds, compacted soil, thatch buildup). We have taken care of most drainage issues (awaiting big rain to verify), weeds, and most of the thatch and some compaction areas. Can't do much about low sun in some areas.
The exact sod type is unknown (I wasn't here during build). It wasn't exactly thick, but I think mostly due to poor cutting (too high then cut too much, repeat).
With all the work and issues there were fairly large dirt areas so I added seed. First I bought blackjack and seeded the larger bare areas (following the protocol of rake, seed, blend rake, top soil, water daily). Then I started reading more and found La Prima HD germinated faster. So i added it to the sunny bare areas (blackjack supposedly is better in shade relatively speaking). I added it by sprinkling on top then another light coat of top soil, watered in.
I have started to see seedlings (definitely blackjack at least given the blackjack only areas have them).
I understand hybrid sod is better than most seeds. But I wanted to get some input on this plan. Obviously, I am on the plan and will carry it out, but interested to know people's input and experience relative to my plan. Also, I know it won't look exactly perfect, but let me tell you, it was far from perfect before this.
Much thanks. Look forward to the conversation.

Photos attached are of highly shaded area.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Blackjack + La Prime HD (Yukon, Royal Bengal)

Post by turf_toes » May 7th, 2019, 9:34 am

Generally, the Bermuda grown from seed won’t match well Bermuda grown from sod.

But it sounds like you are already aware of that and are committed to your plan. So I wish you success.

Linda92
Grass Type: Hybrid bermuda

Post by Linda92 » May 9th, 2019, 6:48 pm

I had a large area that was overgrown with junipers. Had those ripped out, and because the area was on a hill, put down regular bermuda sod. After the sod was established, I overseeded with Blackjack bermuda seed, and it was beautiful. My experience with "hybrid" bermudas is that they look the best at 2 1/2 to 3 inches. I know most South Carolinians disagree as most bermuda lawns are what I called scalped around here. But, my experience and research backs up my claim. Plus the taller the grass, the better it can handle the hotter summers. Just my opinion, and I'm sticking to it......

TXWOODS
Grass Type: Bermuda

Post by TXWOODS » May 12th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Thanks for the input Linda92. I'm hoping the trouble areas in my yard continue to fill in. Germination is a bit spotty, but in the areas it has germinated, it seems to be doing pretty well.