Light green patches in Bermuda

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Spacklerstyle
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiff 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Light green patches in Bermuda

Post by Spacklerstyle » August 5th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Hi all, I was hoping for some help IDing an issue I am seeing in the back yard. There are a few lighter green patches in an otherwise very healthy Tiff 419 Bermuda lawn.

For some background, the lawn was sodded as new construction ~3 years ago. I am following Andy's spoil remediation recommendations from this spring, where I have been adding OM anywhere I can find it and using a balanced fertilizer at 1 lb N / K per month (which means 1 lb P & K per mo also - soil test showed very low OM, P & K deficiencies, a high pH of 8.1, and an overabundance of calcium). In the first half of the year I was alternating a slow release Lesco 14-14-14 with Miloganite (last fertilization was Saturday - Milo at 1 lb N / K with micros Boron and Zinc). Watering 2x per week at ~1-2 inches depth, mowing with a powered reel mower at ~3/4" every 3 days. I also leveled with coarse fill sand back in March.

Aside from these few lighter green patches the lawn looks fantastic. What could be going on here? I am guessing a "weed" of some kind?

Spacklerstyle

Re: Light green patches in Bermuda

Post by Spacklerstyle » August 5th, 2019, 9:39 pm

Here are a couple close ups. The grass on the left of each picture is what I am pulling up in the lighter patches. It is more fine, denser, and pulls up in these "clumps." It also pulls up very easily and just seems to break away from the stems with light pressure. In the entire back yard (~4K sq ft) there are maybe 3 2'x2' patches of this lighter stuff. The grass on the right of each picture is the normal Bermuda.

ladycage
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Post by ladycage » September 19th, 2019, 3:14 am

How is your lawn doing now? Did you find out what was wrong?

Spacklerstyle

Post by Spacklerstyle » September 19th, 2019, 11:47 am

ladycage wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 3:14 am
How is your lawn doing now? Did you find out what was wrong?
No, never figured it out. I’ve just left it alone... after all, it’s green and healthy.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » February 12th, 2020, 5:32 pm

The problem is you have some spots of common bermuda mixed in with the TIF. How much work do you want to do to cure this? Since both grasses need the same type of care, it it hard to selectively kill out one versus the other.

My approach would be to locate the common bermuda and spray with Round Up once a week for three weeks. You are going to kill some of the TIF so be very careful about the over spray. Mask the area off with cardboard and then spray. When the common is dead, repair the dead spots with pieces of TIF either from your lawn or from a nursery.