Traded in my 1/2 acre for 3 1/4 acres..centipede

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Traded in my 1/2 acre for 3 1/4 acres..centipede

Post by killerv » August 27th, 2019, 10:07 am

Anyway, the days of buying 5000 or even 15000 bags from lowes or wherever are over. I've switched to milorganite the past few seasons on my current centipede lawn and have fallen in love with it....but it would take a small fortune to do 2 acres of grass. Anyway, new lawn in mostly centipede, not it terrible condition, just hasn't been loved on in a while. I called a local landscaping supply place and I can get 18-0-18, 16-0-8, or 16-4-8 in lesco products. I'll have a soil test done next spring but curious what you would go with that I mentioned above, I'd like to go ahead and get something on it before things cool off in the next couple months. Thanks.

Killerv

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Traded in my 1/2 acre for 3 1/4 acres..centipede

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 27th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Definitely shop around for a good farm co op or similar. You have from now to next spring lol. Centipede is lower input than others so that's good for cost. I take my trailer with a bunch of heavy duty plastic containers and fill them up, stack them in my garage.

I'd get some urea from said place and spread. I pay 30 something cents per lb. Maybe get 4 lbs per K of urea down over the course of this summer and fall.

Need a much larger spreader too. Snag a good deal on offer up or craigslist when everyone sells this fall.

I'm guessing the 3.5 acres are not irrigated so spread urea before rain or in a light drizzle with a cover on.

I dont want to pay for milo either on 1.5 acres. Too much. I go with FAS instead for color.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » August 28th, 2019, 12:23 am

I'm not a warm season grass guy, but I thought centipede is a grass that thrives on neglect and requires little to no fertilizer.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » August 28th, 2019, 8:04 am

It is. Don't put too much fertilizer on Centipede.

killerv
Grass Type: Centipede/SA
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by killerv » August 28th, 2019, 8:19 am

[quote=bpgreen post_id=336528 time=1566966208 user_id=66]
I'm not a warm season grass guy, but I thought centipede is a grass that thrives on neglect and requires little to no fertilizer.
[/quote]

For the most part, I usually fertilize in mid may, early june once its growing good and thats it for the summer, but being we literally moved in and wanted to get some on it while its still growing for the next couple months. I went with the 18-0-18, about 27 bucks for 50lb bags of lesco. The front yard is irrigated, checked all the zones yesterday for the first time, only 3 bad heads.