Early Spring in Central Texas? What to do???

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Spacklerstyle
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiff 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Early Spring in Central Texas? What to do???

Post by Spacklerstyle » January 23rd, 2020, 2:02 pm

I have a pretty specific question regarding my "Spring" timing given the climate we've been experiencing in Central Texas (Dripping Springs area) this winter. This has been a very mild winter (January YTD average temperature is 60 degrees, December was 55 degrees), and my Tiff-419 bermuda has yet to go into full dormancy... There are patches where some mid/late October frost shut things down, but there are many areas that have stayed green all season - and now the green appears to be spreading. In other words, I think I'm seeing a very early "spring" green-up, but it's hard to tell this year given the fact the lawn never fully turned brown...

My question is whether or not to accelerate my timing (normally early March). Should I look at scalping and laying more pre-em now? Or should I continue to wait "just in case"?

Thanks!

PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Re: Early Spring in Central Texas? What to do???

Post by PW405 » February 1st, 2020, 6:47 pm

So... I'm not an experienced in managing hybrid bermuda, but my observations up here in OKC (we've had very mild winter thus far, too) it appears that the cool-season weed pressure is higher than usual. I'm considering applying pre-em tomorrow! If you know average last freeze date of the year, I would generally not scalp before then in case we get a bizarre late freeze. I don't think it would be TOO detrimental to the turf if that were to happen though.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Early Spring in Central Texas? What to do???

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » February 12th, 2020, 4:48 pm

TODAY: apply preemergent TODAY. We just got a day of mist, day of drizzle, and a night of pouring rain. NOW is the time to apply preemergent to catch those early germinating weed seeds that we always seem to miss. The next time we get a rain event like that, do it again.

Do not fertilize bermuda until you have mowed growing grass at least 2 times in the spring. Scalping dormant grass does not count. Bermuda is different in that it can use the nitrogen early. All other grasses should wait until late May to be fertilized the first time. But for bermuda, if you fertilize before the roots are fully awake, then you're wasting fertilizer.

Would you mind changing your profile Location to Dripping Springs? People in Austin, Abilene, Midland, Sweetwater, etc. all claim Central Texas. It really helps us to know very specifically where you live due to differing local climate and soil types.