It’s been a long time everyone! and I’m about to start another project

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Krs1
Grass Type: Tifgreen hybrid bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

It’s been a long time everyone! and I’m about to start another project

Post by Krs1 » March 30th, 2020, 10:39 pm

Disclaimer I didn’t know where to post this! That being said mods please move this if needed, OK so I’m in escrow and gonna have a small backyard to start from scratch. I had a Bermuda/ perineal rye at my old house and would like to plant something that you want to lay on and can cut with a reel mower. I had a GM 1000 and really enjoyed the ongoing maintenance etc. so I have a unique situation and looking for advice in which direction to go so please give me all you’d thoughts. So I live 2 blocks from the beach as the crow flys in 92054, I think climate zone 10? The backyard is surounded by 5’ tall glass so the surface temp is close to 80 on a high of 64 for the day and gets pretty hot in the summer. It faces south, SW and gets a 8hrs of sun by the slider and large parts gets about 6 hr now. Summer time 6-8 hrs of sun on all parts of the yard. I’m ripping all trees/ concrete out and starting completely from scratch so keep tgat in mind when looking at the photos. Ok so there will be a garden area but the rest will be grass. All that being said how do I pick a cool or warm season grass? I would really like to have a lateral growing grass! Also the pics where taken today around 5:30/6. I will post a trend of pics to show the shade throughout the day to also give everyone an idea

Krs1

Re: It’s been a long time everyone! and I’m about to start another project

Post by Krs1 » March 30th, 2020, 10:42 pm

Krs1

Post by Krs1 » March 30th, 2020, 10:54 pm

Krs1

Post by Krs1 » March 30th, 2020, 11:10 pm

Sorry for the pics I’ll attempt to do better tomorrow.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 31st, 2020, 5:54 pm

What side of the house is this lawn going on? North, south, east, or west? About how much sunlight per day do you think it will get? I'm leaning toward a hybrid bermuda or UC Verde buffalo for full sun applications. Both spread laterally and form a fairly dense turf. If you are not familiar with UC Verde, call some nurseries in the area and see if they offer it. Then drive by and ask if they have addresses for installations of the turf. Seeing it in pictures is much different from seeing it in person.

Krs1

Post by Krs1 » March 31st, 2020, 6:41 pm

Krs1

Post by Krs1 » March 31st, 2020, 8:45 pm

so the first two pics are of the south facing patio (170 degrees) it’s currently getting sun from 9 am till sunset. The SW facing patio and the walkway by the ac unit are currently getting 6 hrs of sunlight from noon till sunset. In the dead of winter I would guess 4-5 hrs of sunlight and full summer the entire patio gets a blazing 8 hrs due to the glass giving it a greenhouse type feel if you will. I’m 2 blocks as a crow flys From the beach and do get marine layer to take into consideration if it matters. There is several sod places nearby that have sample areas and gonna go look tomorrow at west coast sod in sna Marcos. I’ll take a look and haven’t seen the UC verde but very interested. I hope this helps! Please ask away because this is my forever home

Krs1

Post by Krs1 » April 11th, 2020, 9:49 am

Hello everyone this is my first time posting and brand new to the forum. So in a nutshell we sold our home and moved To our dream home 2 blocks from the beach in north San Diego county. Our prior house I had a beautiful tiff green hybrid Bermuda that I had over seeded with perennial rye because there was a large Jacaranda tree in the middle of the lawn. I had a greens master 1000, and by the time we moved out I had to almost where I wanted it to be.

I live in a townhome that has a medium to small patio, backyard that is south facing (SSW facing between 170-220). Its surrounded by a 3’ retaining wall and a 5’ clear glass pane on top of it. The unique thing I have noticed is that the patio stays very warm because of that even on cold days like today that’s a high of 65 the patio stays between the high 70’s and low 80’s and I know a warm season grass will go off due to this green house effect.

So my tentative plan:
•remove all the concrete and trees in the pics ( don’t worry the large cactus will stay)
•get a soil test of what’s underneath the concrete and amend as needed
•start plumbing the sprinkler system, test and adjust
•lay sod and care for it like my baby!

Here are a few pics of what I had and what I’m working with. All done via iPhone so bare with me. The first is the old house and the remaining are the current. The first photo the patio is 8’ wide and 22’ long and gets full sun all day. everything within the limits of the green shading will be grass in all photos, the second pic is basically a 90 degree turn towards the back patio which is 6.6 wide and 10’ long. the last pics is where the wife gets half and I get the other, she needs a garden. The area door grass is about 15’x20’ and gets full sun from 10:30 till sundown.

I have visited several turf farms and put my feet on all the different types of grasses but I cannot choose one. I know it will be a Bermuda grass but I cannot figure out which one I want for the life of me. Can somebody help me make a decision and maybe a reason why, or point me in the right direction. We do get a lot of overcast days, but the moment the sun comes out my entire patio/yard heats up fast. Thanks for listening hope it’s not to long winded but wanted to be clear. Any other info just ask!!!

Krs1

Post by Krs1 » April 11th, 2020, 9:56 am

Mods can we delete this so I can start over lol?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 11th, 2020, 10:15 am

What do you want deleted - the whole thread or just a posting?

Krs1

Post by Krs1 » April 20th, 2020, 4:45 pm

Whole thing sir will start a new one better put together thank you.