Sun Requirements

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
suffolk_lawn
Grass Type: Bermuda/ TTTF
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Sun Requirements

Post by suffolk_lawn » April 14th, 2020, 9:29 pm

I’m planning on reno’ing the yard this year so I’m trying to make a selection on grass based on what’s availableat my local sod farms. Today I took pictures of my yard each hour between 8am-6pm, then divided the yard in 4 sections (East to west) and determined each section gets a pretty even 6 hours of full sun. They also each get about 4 hours of dappled sun, which ranges from mostly shade to mostly sun. I expect the times to go up slightly as we get more towards the middle of the year.

I’m Having trouble finding consistent information online on the amount of sun required between the different warm season grasses or even what “full sun” means in terms of hours of sun. I know that every grass prefers as much sun as possible, but based on general light level guidelines, would I be considered a Bermuda candidate or would I need to stick with Zoysia/St. Augustine?

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Sun Requirements

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » May 3rd, 2020, 1:09 pm

Bermuda need 5 hours of unfiltered, direct sunlight to thrive. It will thin out with less than that. I would stick with St Augustine or zoysia.