Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
JerseyMarine
Grass Type: Meyer Zoysia
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Please help with Meyer Zoysia

Post by JerseyMarine » May 15th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Hi:
First post of the forum as I just joined. I am looking for some information regarding the maintenance of Meyer Zoysia. I reside in Northern NJ and just planted zoysia plugs to 15,000 square feet of lawn approximately 3 weeks ago. It was a project and a half to say the least as each plug is planted 12 inches apart. We are experiencing an unseasonably cold spring and the plugs are just beginning to come out of dormancy. My question is should i Milorganite the lawn this weekend? If not Milorganite what fertilizer would be recommended? How often should it be fertilized? What other maintenance should be done to allow these plugs to take off and take over my existing lawn. The plugs were bought from a Meyer Zoysia farm in NJ so I’m hoping the plugs take nicely due to the same climate. Any information and a maintenance schedule would be more than greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

gtnike
Grass Type: Meyer Zoysia, TTTF in the shade

Re: Please help with Meyer Zoysia

Post by gtnike » June 2nd, 2020, 2:06 pm

So I don't come here as often as I used to, but sorry to see your question un-answered. I plugged my lawn same as you, but I'm further south so my results will have been different. That said, right now you don't need to do anything. You won't have a zoysia lawn this year. Likely the earliest you will have a zoysia lawn is 2023. Just look to keep those plugs alive this year. Next year you will see some of the spreading but only expect 30%-40% fill. Next year will be the key to establishing the lawn so that year 2 and 3 it will really look great. It won't hurt to put down milo. My schedule was I put down nitrogen in May (34-0-0) but that was it other than the occasional milo. If it makes you feel good you can put down nitrogen now but don't expect to see massive growth. Zoysia plugs is a marathon and you're just getting started. Good luck!

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Please help with Meyer Zoysia

Post by turf_toes » June 2nd, 2020, 4:58 pm

This was a double post. It did get several replies, most recently by you.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25817&p=340113#p340103