Wide blade Zoysia needs help

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
UgaYardGuy
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Wide blade Zoysia needs help

Post by UgaYardGuy » May 31st, 2020, 8:29 am

My buddy just bought a house that was knee deep in weeds. The yard is a mixture of wide blade Zoysia and Bermuda. He wants to keep the Zoysia. It was a good base and I sure we can get the weeds under control. But what should we do to kick start a slow spreading Zoysia? 34-0-0 and LOTS of water along w Milorganite?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Wide blade Zoysia needs help

Post by turf_toes » May 31st, 2020, 7:34 pm

Zoysia is a low-input grass. You shouldn’t feed it more than twice a year. You should never feed it heavily. Doing so won’t kick start it. But it may help you kick it to the curb. It doesn’t thrive in high input environments.

It’s not likely to outcompete Bermuda in warm season environments.

gtnike
Grass Type: Meyer Zoysia, TTTF in the shade

Re: Wide blade Zoysia needs help

Post by gtnike » June 2nd, 2020, 2:00 pm

I disagree, I plugged zoysia in my old house, and there was a patch of bermuda between me and the neighbor that I just assumed would be there forever. Not true, the zoysia eventually took it over and even overtook the neighbors yard up to their driveway. The key is don't cut it low. I cut my Zoysia to about 1 inch. IN the heat of summer it will out-compete the bermuda. I gave it 1 shot of nitrogen (34-0-0) in May once it was greened up and that was usually it, maybe a round of milorganite in the summer.

Depending on where you are at in the mountains, it may just be timing. This has been the coolest spring I can remember so the warm season grasses, even though they greened up in March/April, are just now starting to spread. My parents have a place in Sky Valley, but it's mostly cool season grasses at that elevation.