Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
cello2421
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Bermuda Grass trouble.

Post by cello2421 » July 31st, 2020, 1:06 pm

Not sure where I went wrong! I live
in San Antonio Texas the lawn was sodded with Bermuda Tiff in Oct 2018. I water 2x a week with irrigation around 5am. This happen in the same area last year. Does anyone know what is going on? Brown patch, need more water, bad soil...? ANY HELP is appreciated.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Bermuda Grass trouble.

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » August 3rd, 2020, 1:49 pm

Bermuda is not known for getting fungal disease, but it looks like you might have one. Before you do anything, can you please answer a few questions? Does the dead area get wetter than the surrounding area of grass? I'm thinking it might be a low area where the water drains from the fence in and from the yard out? Also do you have a neighbor uphill from you who waters, perhaps, more frequently and allows it to drain onto your property? Or does he have a pool?

Watering twice a week in San Antonio is excessive. I have St Augustine in Bandera and only water once every 10 days. Bermuda in SA should be able to handle 10 days to 2 weeks. How long are you watering each time? Have you done the can test to see how much water is coming out? If you have not, put some tuna or cat food cans around the yard, especially in the trouble spots, turn on the sprinklers and time how long it takes to fill all the cans. That will be 1 inch of water. Actually you might wait a few days since we just got that rain late last week.