Need help with my lawn.

Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, Centipede, Bahia, Paspalum, etc
Xavier19
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Need help with my lawn.

Post by Xavier19 » September 27th, 2020, 6:49 pm

Hello everyone. I need some help understanding what I did wrong to my lawn and advice or direction on how to restore it. I live in GA, a few minutes north of Atlanta and my home has a Bermuda lawn. Around the 3rd week of August I bought a used Toro Greensmower and ran it on my backyard. Normally I used to cut my lawn with a Honda rotary Mower set at the second to lowest setting. I was so anxious that I didn’t realize the Toro was set to “.300” and it cut real real low. The lawn has never been the same 😔. I aerated on sept 2nd and drop some Milorganite and Super Juice from Ask Doc (YouTube). I dropped some 10-10-10 and Post Emergent last weekend. I also sent out a soil test, no results yet. I noticed some green patches on the ground and I think they are fungi, but need your help how to identify it for sure. Any help would be grateful.

jtyrie
Grass Type: Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: Need help with my lawn.

Post by jtyrie » September 28th, 2020, 10:51 am

Atlanta is starting to get some low temps at night. Rule of thumb, Bermuda starts to go dormant around 50. Even though you are not averaging 50, your healthy Bermuda growth will slow way down at this time. Since you cut off most of the of the plant, it is not doing much photosynthesis which which cuts off the food supply which will also slow the growth and possibly throw it into dormancy.

There are some people on here that can certainly answer this better than me but, I wouldn't worry that much. It's real hard to kill Bermuda. You have lots of root structure that has probably gone dormant for reasons I mentioned above. You may get some winter kill but I bet that patch comes back fine next spring if it was healthy before you mowed it.

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Need help with my lawn.

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » October 22nd, 2020, 1:37 pm

Did you inherit this lawn with the house, or did you install it? Because the last picture tells me you have zero drainage on the property. The soil height should be at the level of the surrounding hardscape, not an inch lower. The mold growing on the soil reinforces that there is no drainage. The solution is to fix the drainage problem first and then start growing grass.
Also what is your watering schedule? How often and for how long do you water?